Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for recommendations on a good OS X VNC (remote desktop) client, and server.

Well, OSXvnc seems to be the only server, so client recommendations are what I really need.

Thanks,

--PB

ps. Apple Remote Desktop won't work for me because a) I don't want to pay for it and b) last time I tried it it was kind of flakey over the net (as opposed to a LAN)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I've not had a lot of luck with VNC in the past; I find it's a bit on the slow and sluggish side (even on a LAN). There are people at work who swear by it (rather than at it); I'll see if there's a particular client that works well for them.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I use OSXvnc for the server and VNCViewer (by Robert Kedoin) for the client. More often than not, I am controlling the Mac from Windows with the RealVNC client.

VNC seriously slows down the video performance so I usually keep it off and when I need to use it I ssh first and turn it on. I have my Red Hat firewall setup to control multiple machines depending on which port I connect to.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
I deploy VNC for occasional use of my Win2K PC - saves bothering with a second monitor or a KVM.

On the PC side, I use TightVNC (server.)

On the Mac side, I use Chicken of the VNC (Client.)

http://cotvnc.sourceforge.net

It's all a bit slow and poky, but it does the job. If I need to use the PC for any length of time (rare) I shut down the Mac and connect the monitor to the PC.

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts