Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following last week's interesting post on Worm 32, viruses and the Mac, it seems that I have been 'attacked':

I have so far received about 300 virus laden e-mails from a handful of people who are in my address book as well as from other organisations with whom I have had contact in the past (Microsoft, Palm, iOmega, etc.). I am also receiving mail sweeper messages saying that I sent messages with a virus (!).

So obviously, someone is using my address as an originator. Really pisses me off.

Do you know if there is anything I can do to protect my address book. Is Virex any use?

Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
If you're using a Mac you're likely to be okay. As I understand it, some viruses that infect Windows PCs replicate themselves by mimicking the addresses found in the address book on a Windows machine. Sounds like that's what happened to you.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I was away on a trip for five days and when I returned yesterday, my email was full of virus loaded stuff with attachements. It does not seem to have had any effect on my eMac, but to be safe, I simply cancelled my email alias, selected a new one, and presto, problem gone. Seems to me to be the easiest way to solve the problem.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I was away on a trip for five days and when I returned yesterday, my email was full of virus loaded stuff with attachements. It does not seem to have had any effect on my eMac, but to be safe, I simply cancelled my email alias, selected a new one, and presto, problem gone. Seems to me to be the easiest way to solve the problem.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much the same experience here. in the meantime my mailbox had shut down (too many messages) and I spent the day cancelling the bloody things.

I have now set up a Spam killer on my ISP + added rules on Mac Mail to directly delete the offending messages.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts