Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there's a demo version of Virtual PC? There are a couple of applications I'd like to use on my PowerBook that I doubt will ever be ported to Mac OS X, and I'm not sure they'd work under Virtual PC. I'd like to see if they work under VPC before spending money on VPC.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
It's unlikely you will find a VPC demo, partly because you need a WindowsOS to make it useful. Obviously it's possible to do that without getting one from Connectix, but still, it's enough of a complication that I don't see that happening.

Which apps, if I may ask?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gordguide wrote:
It's unlikely you will find a VPC demo, partly because you need a WindowsOS to make it useful. Obviously it's possible to do that without getting one from Connectix, but still, it's enough of a complication that I don't see that happening.

Good point, although I've got more Windows licenses around here than you can shake a stick at! I guess I've been spoiled by VMWare.

Which apps, if I may ask?

The InfoExpress VPN client, primarily.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
This page doesn't bring up any red flags when I read it.

Probably not a perfect answer, but the DOS version is relatively inexpensive and is quite easy to re-sell if you decide it's not up to the job.

You could always eMail them and/or Connectix to see if they have any experience with it configured under VPC.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hiyo!
The only demo of VPC on the Connectix site at this time runs on Windoze! Its reason to exist at all? Virtual PC for Windows allows you to run multiple PC-based operating systems and applications on a single workstation.

As far as a Mac demo goes, there isn't one available! There WAS a demo for VPC version 5 called a 'test drive', but it is not available anymore.

If all you want to do is RUN VPC on OSX, you could find a cheaper used copy of VPC5 that doesn't make use of ALL the bells and whistles of X like its VPC6 counterpart.

If you don't need to run under OSX, then get an even cheaper used copy of VPC vers.4 or even vers.3, they can still be found and they're dirt cheap!

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I would recommend VPC6 if you plan to use it on OSX; if you can run it inside OS9 then VPC5 is acceptable.

The OSX test drive was a time-limited beta; even if you can find a copy you would have to change your date/time settings (not recommended) to get it to run at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts