Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here use virtual pc?

I need some advice.

I will have the 17" PB with 1gig of ram.

I have read reviews where someone is running an old VPC 5 DOS version with an upgrade to 98 and then XP, and is alloting 512MB of RAM (on his new 17") and says it's running like a beauty.

But I have heard many other things to the contrary. I would assume that if I do the same setup as this last guy that I will have the same performance as him...won't I??

The options are either VPC 5 or 6, and then windows 2000 or XP (and then different ways to get those, like upgrading from the DOS version which this guy did)

Can anyone give me some advice on how I should set mine up for optimal stable performace? I want to use it to surf, convert CAD files, and work on a little light autocad, and store some old windows files....(if you can do this)

It's so freakin' expensive too....almost $500 so I want to make sure I do the right combination.

Does anyone have an old version of VPC 5 they want to sell?

Also, how does it work. This guy said he "upgraded" from VPC 5 Dos version to windows 98 and then windows xp? how do you do that?? I have a legal copy of windows xp professional. Do I need to use that at all?

Sorry for the questions. Hope someone knows these answers. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I would get VPC 6 it is the best version yet.
You can getb the DOS version and put in any ol PC OS that makes you happy.
I recommend Win 98 or 2000, Xp would work , but a little poky on VPC
I just use Win 98, cause I have a copy kicking around

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
sorry I misunderstood the question
Virtual PC does allow you to adjust the ram alllocation
most other X apps have their memory allotment doled out by the system as needed

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
sorry I misunderstood the question
Virtual PC does allow you to adjust the ram alllocation
most other X apps have their memory allotment doled out by the system as needed
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh ok, i see.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey..I have VPC (the win 98 version) for sale!

Brand new, never used, shrink wrapped, bought it for 400$ but didn't use it.(almost all apps i use under win have been released for X)

Price is $$150 obo (can)

email me if ur interested: [email protected]

;)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Pamela wrote:
Can anyone give me some advice on how I should set mine up for optimal stable performace? I want to use it to surf, convert CAD files, and work on a little light autocad, and store some old windows files....(if you can do this)

I picked up a copy of VirtualPC 6 last week and so far I've been impressed. I'd recommend against running Windows XP as a guest operating system, though (the eye candy makes VPC sluggish). Windows 2000 runs just fine, though. Heck, Visual Studio.NET is usable under VPC, which comes as a surprise.

Of course, you're not going to want to do anything CPU- or graphics-intensive with VPC. The guest operating system is (effectively) running on a PII-233[1] and the graphics can be sluggish.

It's so freakin' expensive too....almost $500 so I want to make sure I do the right combination.

I only paid 200CDN for VPC6 (the version that's bundled with DOS, mind you). It's possible to install most any operating system as a guest operating system, though.

[1] This is on a PowerBook G4 (667MHz DVI). Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so the dos version of VPC 6 would be cheaper than the others then? Cuz I have windows xp pro already like I mentioned. I just use the cd I have with the VPC 6 DOS?

(I don't have windows 2000...just xp.)

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Pamela,

The DOS version is cheaper since you're not paying for a Windows license. Installing a guest operating system under VPC is just like installing an operating system on a PC. It is a bit time consuming, but it's not especially hard.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
Pamela,

The DOS version is cheaper since you're not paying for a Windows license. Installing a guest operating system under VPC is just like installing an operating system on a PC. It is a bit time consuming, but it's not especially hard.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well geez then. no big deal

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Pamela
Just use your own OS install.
You can turn off some of the CPU intensive stuff in XP or just use an old version of 2000 or 98.

jfpoole
I have compiled visual basic, intel assember, C++ and java on VPC and it worked just fine, faster than a P233 I would think.

either way you need to have 256 mb or ram on your machine to make VPC happy

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Connectix's recommendations are great starting points and generally work fine. Find them here and check the javascript link on the left called: System Requirements
As long as you can assign the listed amount of RAM to each Virtual Machine you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by insertclevername:
Hey..I have VPC (the win 98 version) for sale!

Brand new, never used, shrink wrapped, bought it for 400$ but didn't use it.(almost all apps i use under win have been released for X)

Price is $$150 obo (can)

email me if ur interested: [email protected]

;)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks, but I can get the new VPC 6 for dos for just a little bit more than that. I already have a copy of windows xp.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pamela
Just use your own OS install.
You can turn off some of the CPU intensive stuff in XP or just use an old version of 2000 or 98.

either way you need to have 256 mb or ram on your machine to make VPC happy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok, that's good to know. I'm really hoping to get decent results. If I have 1 gig of RAM and I'm just running VPC for what I would be working on then how much RAM should I allot to VPC? (what is the max I can allot to it...)

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordguide:
Connectix's recommendations are great starting points and generally work fine. Find them here and check the javascript link on the left called: System Requirements<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I read all of that, but I was worried that it was just company propoganda. I wanted to find out what people were *actually* experiencing using the program...and if there were *actually* any significant differences. I actually have a friend that I contacted late last night that uses mac and he has a copy of VPC 5 for dos that he'll sell me for cheap. SO I was wondering if it's really worth spending the money on 6 for the actual differences that are *said* to be better.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
You no loger have to worry about asigning ram in Os X so just let the system figure it out
You should be fine

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You no loger have to worry about asigning ram in Os X so just let the system figure it out
You should be fine
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

oh. that's interesting. cuz the guy that I mentioned before said he "alloted" 512mb to it???

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Pamela wrote:
ok, that's good to know. I'm really hoping to get decent results. If I have 1 gig of RAM and I'm just running VPC for what I would be working on then how much RAM should I allot to VPC?

I'm only allocating 192MB of RAM to the guest operating system, but you can allocate as much RAM to VirtualPC as you have in your system (of course, if you leave less than 128MB available to Mac OS X, your performance will suffer).

If I were you, I'd start out by allocating 256MB of RAM to the VirtualPC, leaving the rest available for Mac OS X, and adjust to taste.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:
Pamela wrote:
ok, that's good to know. I'm really hoping to get decent results. If I have 1 gig of RAM and I'm just running VPC for what I would be working on then how much RAM should I allot to VPC?

I'm only allocating 192MB of RAM to the guest operating system, but you can allocate as much RAM to VirtualPC as you have in your system (of course, if you leave less than 128MB available to the operating system, your performance will suffer).

If I were you, I'd start out by allocating 256MB of RAM to the VirtualPC, leaving the rest available for Mac OS X, and adjust to taste.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

okey dokey. got it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 29 Posts