Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here running VPC under OS X?
How does it perform?

I had it on my G3 and it was ok for some apps (not for games though!).

I'm really tempted to try Age of Myth(ology) under VPC, but before I buy it, I'd like to know if that's a viable thing in you all's opinion.

My machine: MDD 2x867, 1 Gb RAM, 2x80 HD's
(IDE internal).

Gamehungry,

G/<

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
The latest version (VPC6) does address some issues with gameplay under emulation.
Prior versions of VPC emulated video hardware as 4MB onboard (shared memory) PC video. The newer versions allow up to 32MB of video memory to be emulated.
Still, it's hardware emulation, not direct access to your video card. It isn't really a game solution, but many less demanding games run OK. I wouldn't expect a first-person-shooter or a flight sim to do that well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, there are some things you can do to make your VPC faster, although not always an option, see if you can find a fast (Cheetah) scsi harddrive with pci card and run only VPC on that drive. You may also use some windows optimizers on your Windows OS be it 98se, or 2000, XP...As for gameplay, until they can directly hit the graphics card there is not much hope. You might be able to get by with the game you would like to play though. VP6 has some awsome dock features that were not found in previous version, so maybe with a fast machine like yours, it might be a good idea to upgrade to VPC 6. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, and be sure to check back in to let us know how your gaming tests go.)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Age of Myth(ology) is a turn based strategy game. Sure there's animation and some fancy graphics stuff, but nothing that requires rendering bazillions of polygons at 32+ fps.

I did note that it had some performance issues on my friend's PC (and that machine is no slouch) but that's Windoze and bad Windoze programming!

I really hope that game designers and producers will now see the Mac as a viable gaming platform under OS X.

It sure bites to see all these Windoze games out there.

Sure, not too many are actually all that good, but...

Choo,

G/<

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I've played some turn-based stragegy games in VPC (version 5, no less) and they worked fine. The games I tried ran under Win98.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Grzegorz Kryszczuk wrote:
Well, Age of Myth(ology) is a turn based strategy game. Sure there's animation and some fancy graphics stuff, but nothing that requires rendering bazillions of polygons at 32+ fps.

Age of Mythology isn't turned-based, it's real-time, so system performance will matter. Plus, it's a 3D game, so you'll need some sort of 3D accelerator; does VPC emulate DirectX so that it'll use a 3D accelerator if it's present?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jfpoole:

Age of Mythology isn't turned-based, it's real-time, so system performance will matter.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I haven't spent enough time with it and didn't realize it was NOT turn based. :_P

MB I've been playing too much CIV III lately and it's clouding my perceptions :p

Choo,

G/<

·
Banned
13 Posts
Whant to run the ultimate mac/pc
gp to Techtv.com/screensavers and select archives
there you will find the ultimate machine
a Monster Machine G4/PC - this baby runs independant mother boards in the same case with picture on picture on screen. Full instructions and assembly available in article.

THE ULTIMATE HYBRID

javascript:%20x()

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
jfpoole, anything u can run on a Windows PC, u can run in VPC (whether it works properly or not is another matter)
DirectX is supported but the software is still unable to access the vid card and well, b/c of that gaming is hard as previously stated.
I use VPC occasionally whenever needed, and with my starting the Programming course @ school which is having us make C++ programs for a windoze console, I need it to compile and debug my programs. I'd much prefer to make a UNIX app if I'm unable to make a Mac app. On a side note, are there any good places where i can learn how on earth to use Project Builder, i get lost very fast :(

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Chealion wrote:
On a side note, are there any good places where i can learn how on earth to use Project Builder, i get lost very fast

The O'Reilly books Learning Cocoa with Objective-C and Building Cocoa Applications: A Step-By-Step Guide are both good books if you've already got a good grounding in, say, C or C++. There are sample chapters online, too, which will give you a bit of a feeling for the style of each book.

There's also the Objective-C Pocket Reference if you've got a grounding in C or C++ and the syntax of Objective-C leaves you scratching your head.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts