Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yup, you heard it here first!

it now has "eUpdate" which will update itself with virus definitions automatically. not too shabby.
www.mac.com!

Phil

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emceepj:
yup, you heard it here first!

it now has "eUpdate" which will update itself with virus definitions automatically. not too shabby.
www.mac.com!

Phil
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, Phil, that URL doesn't work with the '!"

here, with no "!"

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ran it and it installed successfully but crashes imeadiately on running Tried another installation and the same thing Unfortunately it removes 7.1 from the Virex folder and empties the trash in the process. Make sure you have a 7.1 dmg around or move a copy of 7.1 from your Virex folder or of course a current backup When reinstalld 7.1 it said the .dat files were from last June. I installed the Jan 29 2003 update and all is back in order
Your mileage may vary :)

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I'm not a big fan of Virex or Network Associates, but I installed Virex because Apple made the price right for me.

The one I have works fine, won't be phoning home when it feels like (or at inconvenient times, like when I'm capturing audio), and is going to stay as it is on my drive (ie check manually).

By the way, Network Associates wasted no time after I registered to begin it's typical abuse; I got a snailmail spam letter from them yesterday.

If you're paying cash, go with Symantec's Norton Antivirus.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
The eUpdate worked for me after installation. It took a while to download and install the updated dedf files but I assume that the server is somewhat overloaded. This brings Virex up to the auto-update simplicity of NAV.

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I have found Virex EXTREMLY slow, i have left it for hours doing a full check on my HD and I come back and it is not even half way complete, does anybody else have this problem?
I am reformatting my drive as soon as my WD 120GB drive (8mb) and ata/133 card arrive, so that may fix it, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have Virex 5 and 6.x for OS 9 and thought the programme was great.

I now have Virex 7 for OS X, and it sucks big time.

Any idea how I, as a non-.Mac user can upgrade to 7.2?

TIA

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Warning Will Robinson
Evidently there is a MAJOR conflict with FINK in 7.2
Do a google search on FINK and then the side links to MaAfee's pages for details beyond my knowledge

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
"... I am reformatting my drive as soon as my WD 120GB drive (8mb) and ata/133 card arrive, so that may fix it, any other suggestions?..."

The chances that you actually have any viri on your HD are slim (only reasonable fear of the new and unknown prevents me from saying "none"); I would run it once (go to bed, whatever) and leave it at that.

Have it check downloads, shareware disks, disks from other users, and eMail. You shouldn't have to scan your HD regularly, unless a Mac virus alert comes up (last one was about 5 years ago, when everybody was running the latest OS, System 7.5.5. To defeat that, a setting in QuickTime was all you needed to check).

You are basically doing it as a courtesy to your PC using eMail contacts.

If you are using MS Office apps and Outlook/Entorage, you need to watch for macro's; if you use another app for eMail (don't forget to remove the MS mail app from your drive) you don't have to worry much about that either, except from files from other users via removeable disks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts