Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject is out and while the .dmg is current (April 17) the actual installer appears to be March something. This version claims to be compatible with Fink but I am reluctant to install it . I know its early but will somebody advise if indeed this is actually Fink compatible and that it is safe to install. It would appear to overwrite current Virex folder and 7.1 does not seem to be available for download if I get screwed up

·
Registered
719 Posts
I have a full version of Virex 7.0, and the swine at McFee keep telling me that there will be a way to upgrade, they just have to figure it out...

I have lost ALL respect for them.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
7.2.1 did not work bummer went back to 7.1 and its ok

.sw file was not deleted which i expected with the update and when i tried to delete it it claimed it was owned by root and could not do so

any input would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
Worked fine for me; however I had avoided installing the broken update because I don't trust McAfee, so I always wait for feedback before I install anything they offer.

I have the correct UNIX files in /sw (which are supposed to be there for X11/Fink).

And, yes, /sw is owned by root. Having it there at root level won't hurt anything; just delete the files the broken installer created inside /sw (you might have to look it up on the usual troubleshooting sites to figure which ones to trash).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts