Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help and as some of you know I come from a Windows environment.

In Windows for IE when you visit a website the images for the site are downloaded to the Temporary Internet Files folder. So as I understand in a Mac it uses whats called as a Cache.

First I cannot seem to find the cache for Safari in Lion. Where would it be?

Second can I view the images in the cache?

The reason is in now yahoo and hotmail when a image is attached in an email and when the email is previewed it shows small thumbnails of the images. I want to know are these images copied on to the mac and therefore in the cache and is the name of the file even visible? Even if the user never clicked on the image to view it.

This would greatly help me out.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
That's because Apple thinks we are not responsible enough to access our Library directory anymore. Effective from Lion onwards. :rolleyes:

Do this in terminal to enable it. Note that every system update will disable it again so you may want to drag it to your sidebar.

In terminal app:

chflags nohidden ~/Libarary
It's a nuisance for those of us that know how to use a computer without breaking it, but if I had a nickel for every time I've had a client trash the System, Library, or user library folders and then freak out and blame the computer? I'd be rich.

Most people can barely check their email without breaking something.

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or if you are like me and never mess with Terminal for fear of making an error, simply select the "Go" menu in the Finder, then hold down the option key and "Library" will appear in the drop down menu. Select it and away you go. ;)
Thanks everyone I used this approach. I hate to do a mistake in Terminal.

What would be in the cache.db file in there? Is is a store of temp images from webpages? Or does Safari and Mac do it different than Windows? I mean I know they do it different but in Windows there is the Temporary Internet folder where images from site are, does that exist for Safari and Mac?

I am trying to reassure someone that an image they don't want others to see would not be on the system. If anyone has yahoo email now when you have an image as an attachment when viewing the email it shows a small thumbnail of the images. It doesn't get downloaded in Windows just want to make sure what happens on a Mac and Safari.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.