Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a G4 350 mhz sawtooth with a 16 meg (stock) video card (ATI Rage Pro). I have OSX installed, and was wondering if it is truly worth it to upgrade the video card (32 or 64 meg) to take advantage of Quartz Extreme. Has anyone upgraded and noticed a big difference in performance?

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That is true, but If I recall, the original G4 350 (the low-end model when it first came out and the speed dropped) were actually based off the Yikes Motherboard design and didn't have AGP.

I am not sure Quartz Extreme will be accessible through the PCI slot. But if it is, you would probably need a 32MB card, as I beleieve cards like the GeForce 2MX and newer ones will have the capability.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I thought there was 2 versions of the 350 sawtooth, otherwise its not a sawtooth its a yikes.
In your system profiler, if it says AGP graphics somewhere, then you have many solutions, if its an older Yikes you can use the Radeon PCI and install a haxie driver to Quartz extreme.
Heck, I would get the radeon anyway either AGP or PCI depending on what you have, you would get better performance even if you dont get QE.
mark

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts