ehMac banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I am extremely skeptical about the whole vPod concept. I can see Apple eventually will add more features and may even add a colour screen for pictures, but I don't see it happening in the next couple of months (MacWorld Expo 2005... maybe...)

:cool:

·
Registered
145 Posts
But, look at Sony's way of doing things. They invent a format, ATRAC, and players to play it on. Later on they invent transcoding software and other things to ease transition, but in the end, the Sony stuff runs off ATRAC, but can accept any format right off the bat.

Consider... maybe this is where Pixlet and 3GPP come into play?

You'd have some new program for loading video or pictures on the device, which would be hard at work automatically transcoding anything with a Quicktime plugin to Pixlet/3GPP, and then cramming it on the iPod, just like iTunes does for audio. G5s are powerful enough, I'm sure, to handle this process, and if a neat hardware trick allows the real-time playback of specially-formatted movies on iPod, wouldn't THAT be a killer feature?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Oh, and I forgot to mention, and I'm sure I'm not the only one of this opinion, that a system like this is practically a gargantuan sitting duck for DRM so thick, you'd need more than a putty knife to scrape it off.

Which would suck, but hey, look at what they're allowing us to do! Move *gasp* video onto a *gasp* high-speed portable device!!!

Could be dangerous.... ~_^

·
Registered
206 Posts
ThinkSecret has been right about a few things in the past, like the iMac G5 and the displays, so I think this may have an ounce of truth in it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts