Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm poised to begin to start cutting movies on my Mac. What I would like to know is what I need to begin. I have iMovie, which is fine for now (I think). My question is more hardware related: external drives, video cards, internal drives etc. I don't have a fortune to spend, but I don't want to get stuck midstream. The projects I'm starting with probably are about an hour of footage each edited down to broadcast quality 1 minute.

Can anyone help me out with this shopping list?

Thanks

·
Registered
435 Posts
Maybe an external FW HD.

DV files are about 1 gig per 5mins so it can take a lot of room.

I dont think there is any cheap upgrade you can do to drasticaly increase your editing speed. Maybe a bit more ram but thats about it.

If you ever upgrade your mac, go for a dual pro. What ever the speed, its always faster than a single proc with twice the mhz for video editing.

Have fun!

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi,

Ever think of joining a video club. I did although to be truthful I haven`t really used it much yet. We have one in Ottawa, called Saw video. They have all kinds of equipment you can rent. I feel like I`m burning myself here by mentioning it outloud but, hey your in Toronto & I think the ehmac community is great. Check out Saw video on the net...you have to be doing your vid`s non-profit but, it`s really great to be part of an arts community. I know Toronto will have similiar programs...sponsored by gov`t sort of thing.

Take Care!

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
For me the biggest challenge is firewire/hard disk

Basically, daisy-chaining of a FW external disk doesn't work for video; probably because of the massive amount of data shifted every second. You want to have enough headroom to store and edit. Say 100Gigs at a minimum (12Gigs/hour for any project, before any editing; perhaps another 3-5 Gigs/hour for a project with lots of effects). So if you use an external disk, then make sure that you have two firewire ports, otherwise go for an internal solution.

Second is the software. iMovie is fine and easy to use. I have not yet tried v4, but the previous one tended not to do what it said it would. For instance you would compose a title and find out that the final version was offset to the right, or changed font size, etc. Not a problem for school projects, but definitely one for pro output. This means that you can expect to upgrade to FCExpress quickly.

All Macs with current video cards are fine as far as I know.

Hooking a TV monitor to your setup would be a good idea if you want to see what the project really looks like.

Bonne chance

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello and welcome to what I think is the best computer bases video editing experience out there.

I have moved from iMovie to FCP4 for most of my work now. But I should add that I recently installed the new iMovie4 with iLife04 and enjoyed it very much.

This app should serve you well as it has a couple nice tweaks over previous versions. It is also much more stable then iMovie3 was and if you will be outputting stuff to DVD, the new iMovie/iDVD combo is in my opinion better then FCP/DVD SP2. Especially for someone just getting started

DVD SP2 has been a little bit of a miss for me. Lots of bugs.

I use the 200GB Lacie firewire 800/400 dirves. Cant say enough good things about them. Have no problems catching video here. They also come in different sizes to accomodate different budgets.

have fun

·
Registered
282 Posts
and you can always consider final cut express - really fast easy set-up. the interface is almost less confusing than imovie. i knew premeire and final cut before imovie and found the transition very clumsy. fce is quite elegant with great simplicity! i edit on an upgraded powerbook with 8 megs of video sometimes and it's fine.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Biggest bang for your buck with iMovie is a second internal hard drive. They are very reasonably priced now. I have a second drive that I only use for video. After each project I just reformat it and have a fully clean and optimized hard drive. Avoid buying extra iMovie effect plugins. I find the quality of most iMovie effects to be pretty bad. Better to put the money toward Final Cut Express.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts