Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a unique need for video conferencing. I work on a web series for the site :: Fraud Squad TV:: where we interview people from around the country about fraud related issues.

Currently our remote interviews are done with a bunch of flash memory camcorders - the interviewee shoots themselves and then uploads the high res file to our server. this can be really challenging and time consuming (and frustrating) for them because they are not all technically literate. Also, they can't see our host during the interview, because she is calling in and conducting it over speakerphone.

I'm wondering if there is a solution that will give us an HD file without having them uploading. I'm imagining something like iChat, where both parties can see each other and I am able to record the interviewee's footage on my end. Does anything like this exist? Ideally in HD?

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
While Skype might not offer the video quality of iChat; iChat doesn't offer the reliability of connection that Skype does. Being able to connect every time you make a call is pretty important especially for the non-techie folks.

I would love to love iChat but it just keeps letting me down.

There are high-end conferencing solutions but you will need AV support at the other end to install, manage and tear down. Might as well just send a field reporter in those cases.

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
While Skype might not offer the video quality of iChat; iChat doesn't offer the reliability of connection that Skype does. Being able to connect every time you make a call is pretty important especially for the non-techie folks.

There are high-end conferencing solutions but you will need AV support other end to install, manage and tear down. Might as well just send a field reporter in those cases.
plus skype is cross platform so windows users can easily chat with mac users.

I haven't seen a plugin for recording conferences, but then again, I haven't looked either :)

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts

Hmm, what is the nature of the problem that you are running into? A couple of years ago two colleagues and I were video conferencing using iChat every day for about three months setting up a business.

One of us was in Ontario, the other was in Quebec and the third was in Michigan. Once we were set up properly we were good day after day for hours on end. No problems other than the inevitable video lag.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts