Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this before that ATi cards seem to do a better job of text rendition than nVidia and this last switch from the stock G5 1.6 card to the the Radeon 9000 seems to quite noticeable.
But what the hell is the difference .
I was having real issues with some of the smaller text on the G5 yet switching to the Radeon 9000 has made a remarkable difference and nothing on the settings of the monitor has been changed.
And it's noticeable on both the big moniors which are different tubes ( Trin and Diamondtron ) - text is better.

Count me :confused:

Is there some geometry control factor as the edge control seems better as well - no little red edges to things. That's what seemed to help the text. The screen is well controlled over the entire surface

Ideas??

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this a driver issue....don't think so. Shielding maybe, component maybe...not sure. Can't see how a driver would impact it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
I wonder if the different cards affect the contrast, brightness and/or colour of the output. Those characteristics will definitely affect the apparent sharpness of text.

These characteristics can be changed by Colorsync software so it seems to make sense that various hardware may also "filter" these characteristics differently.

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No question different cards have various colour and brightness levels. I've seen this over the years. The Radius cards were glorious for colour and control and dreadfully slow.

Certainly reducing brightness makes the text easier to read but even with similar or even brighter settings this nRadeon 9000 Pro is noticeably better than the G5 with the low end 64 meg card for text and geometry. I suspect the two go hand in hand in some manner.

I was fiddling with the Mits a lot with the G5 trying to get the text to clear up the it settled right down with the 9000 and I haven't touched the monitor - and that goes for the 21" trin which is the second monitor - both exhibit far better text.Perhaps there is a "noise" source or lack of control that affects the stability or accuracy of the redraws. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
Dunno 'bout the difference between the Nvidea and ATI gear, but my Radeon 9000 seems to be working better under Panther. In Jag, I'd get "wavy" scrolling :rolleyes: with Panther, it's as smooth as silk :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
If you search the net a bit (and avoid the pseudo-reviews by PC gamers, who act as if 2D performance is irrelevant on any computer) you will see it's a well known issue.

nVidia cards tend to make the text fuzzy as screen resolutions increase, ATI cards are noticably sharper. It's the same on PCs and Macs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.