Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dual g5 1.8 tower.

I have the radeon 9600 pro. I think that the one i have has only 64mb vram... actually i just checked so i know that it is 64 MB.

So my question is... I upgraded my hard drives space and RAIDed them. I am getting Final Cut Studio 2.0. NOW... should i get a new video card? Will it help me edit HDV? I read the requirements for FCS and they reccommend 256MB VRAM.

Any advice? I have been doing some research and I am thinking about the ATI 9800 pro mac edition or the x800 XT. I read about the nVIDIA 6800 ULTRA but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Any information is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Had to see what you were talking about for a second as Final Cut Pro doesn't need a good video card. But I see you were talking about Final Cut Studioo, which includes Motion, which does use the features of a good video card.

For your money's worth, the X800XT is the best upgrade. It gets you the best card at the best price. The Geforce 6800 Ultra (or GT) would be the second best, it was a bit more expensive, I don't know what the price is now.

The 9800 Pro Mac Edition (actually for the G5 the Mac Special Edition is better) is a small upgrade and for the little more that you pay for the X800XT, it's not worth it. If you're on a budget, it would be the budget upgrade.

The problem seems be, that the X800XT is hard to come by nowadays. Everywhere seems to be out of stock. And the Geforce 6800 Ultra (or GT) is hard to come by as it's a good card and an OEM card (sold only by Apple who doesn't sell it anymore). Macdoc may have one of the cards.

edit:
A couple of other points is that the Geforce 6800 Ultra (or GT) can support 2 30" Apple Cinema Displays (ACD) because it has 2 dual-link DVI ports, the X800XT can only support 1 30" ACD. The X800XT has one dual-link DVI port and one ADC port. The X800XT is a better gamers card (just in case you care) as it has additional software provided by ATI to adjust FSAA and other options.

The Geforce 6800 Ultra (or GT) takes up the adjacent PCI slot due to the fan cooling system whereas the ATI Radeon X800XT only takes up the graphic card slot. Both have fans, though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'd check with NCIX to see if it's actually the Mac version they're selling...

I'll be selling my x800 in the next few weeks, PM me for more info.

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
Yeah -= that price sounds like the PC version.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Agreed... check with NCIX. I think that's the same listing I looked at. I contacted them and they didn't have any.

That's precisely why I ended up selling my machine. It's near impossible to find the X800 anywhere. And I needed something far better than the 9600.

It's sad that a 2 year old system is already so out of date that you can't upgrade it. :(

A7

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.