Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the second to last model of the g5 tower and was going to build a hackintosh out of it(i hope thast not considered a no no in here) but ended up gathering the parts it needed to rebuild it instead.
my plan for this tower was to make an audio visual monster computer
meaning i wanted to put 4 video cards in it so i can have multiple video outs that combined create one larger image for the purpose of doing visuals for music events
i was told it can handle 4 cards in it nativevly however only 2 of the 4 video cards i have for it fits in it and both of them fit the same slot.
does anyone know if this model can take multiple cards or if theres a video card for it that does more then 2 outputs?
i'm tired of daisy chaining my projectors to get more screeen fill with only the exact same image on them, would perfer to split my images up across multiple projectors for a better resolution and a bigger display
any help on this would be apreciated. i've been told in a few forums its totaly feasible but noones shown me a way i can make it happen

thanks for any help i may recieve that isnt grammer or spelling nazi-ism

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
It also depends what you mean by second to last model.
There are two main classes of PowerMac G5 - the first models had PCI and PCIX slots and and AGP graphics slot.
The later models introduced Oct 2005 had 2 x 4-lane PCI-E, 1 x 8 lane PCI-E slot and one PCI-E x16 video slot.

The first model you have a big challenge to find multiple PCI video cards that are Mac compatible.
The second model you have a slightly easier but still daunting challenge to find PCI-E cards that are Mac compatible and that will fit the slots.

The cards have to be originally made for Mac, or they have to have be Windows cards which have had a Mac compatible firmware blown into their EEPROM (an operation done on a PC machine, with a moderate degree of risk of bricking the card)

Most Apple supplied video cards are capable of running 2 monitors (not 30" monitors though) with the appropriate cable adaptors

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as far as i can tell from my research
johnb1 is right with the triple head to go matrox system however i would perfer to have as little extra set up for every show i do and would perfer internal parts.
as to canadaRAM's statement i do believe it is the second to last model of the g5 made, i dont have it with me right now so i can't confirm exactly what model it was but i believe its the 2005 one.
to clarify my image in mind i want to be able to split up my main video output into smaller chunks to run to different outs to create one huge image via multiple projectors
my perfered program (modul8) can handle dividing the image feed to multiple outs provided i can find a way to create the multiple outs

anyways thank you guys for your assistance in this theory(i'm aware of flashin new kexts onto the cards as a possibility as my original plan was to make a hackintosh out of this tower however some people came forth with the parts it needed to make it run so i got lazy and went the simple and safe route with it)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts