Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard some rumors on the net that the power connector/slot for the video card (used to supply power for the ADC port) is in a different position in the G5 compared to the G4, making it impossible to use Video Cards from a G4 in a G5 and vice versa (the card won't fit or the ADC port won't work). Could someone with a G4 and G5 verify this? Macdoc, you must have both G4s and G5s? It sounds strange Apple would do this.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I really doubt that is true, I remember barefeats.com stuck in a retail 4x Ati 9800 pro in to a 1.6 ghz. then tested against a dual 1.42 with same card:

"9/23/03 --WILL THE G5/1.6 OR 1.8 BENEFIT FROM A FASTER GRAPHICS CARD?

YES. We were able to get test results for a G5/1.8 with the Radeon 9600 Pro BTO option and the G5/1.6 with a retail version of Radeon 9800 Pro. Notice how it dramatically increases the frame rate in the UT2003 Flyby graph below:"

Here is the link:(scroll down to find the graph)

http://www.barefeats.com/quick.html

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, but the retail 9800 Pro apparently doesn't have ADC and this is the reason why.

On the same Barefeats site they say:

9/10/03 -- Many of you have written me puzzled why ATI's retail Mac version of the Radeon 9800 Pro does not come with ADC connector and 8X support. I shared your puzzlement. Here's an explanation from ATI:

"ADC for the G4 is different from the G5. The power connector on the motherboard is not in the same place. Therefore the following is true:

G4 ADC cards will not fit into a G5 at all.

G5 ADC cards fit into a G4, but the ADC power tab will not be connected - and the cards won't boot anyway.

The only cards that can work on both machines are NON-ADC AGP 4x cards" (like the retail Radeon 9800 Pro ME
Since I don't believe everything I read on the web, I thought maybe Macdoc or someone with a G4 and G5 could check this out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.