Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered one of the newer 24" Cinema Displays for a decent price the other day. With the newer Mac Pro's using video cards with a Mini Display port along with a DVI port, I started to look in to video card replacement options.
So far these are all that I could find:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 (512MB GDDR3) for $179
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (early 2009) - Apple Store (Canada)

and
ATI Radeon HD 4870 (512MB GDDR5) for $419
ATI Radeon HD 4870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Early 2009 or Early 2008) - Apple Store (Canada)

I'm currently using the OEM NVidia GEForce 8800GT (512MB GDDR3) in my MP (Early 2008)
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (early 2008) Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro - Apple Store (Canada)

The first option of the GT 120 looks to be pretty much a replacement of what I currently have, with the exception of gaining the mini display port. It's also the only one of the two that lists itself as compatible with my setup. The second option looks to be a decent upgrade, but the costs offsets the savings from the monitor.

Are there any other options to run a mini display port monitor on my tower? The folks at the local Apple Store weren't much help with this one.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From what I've been reading, I'm not sure that it's worth the money to get the new 24" ACD + a new video card. I might as well just find another 23" ACD or get something comparable.

That brings me to another question regarding video cards though. Would it be beneficial to upgrade? I'm using my tower to edit with Lightroom, Photoshop and Final Cut. I have two monitors, both running at 1920x1200. In each program, I have all of my tools/timeline on one monitor, and use the other one as a preview.

Another option that I've seen, but don't fully understand is the dual video card setup. I suppose you would use one for each monitor. But I'm trying to understand the benifits of that setup versus just running a single, more powerful card.

PS, I also use the system for gaming in Windows, but that's generally just using the one monitor, so I'll skip that for now.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Another option that I've seen, but don't fully understand is the dual video card setup. I suppose you would use one for each monitor.
Correct. You cannot combine multiple video cards for one big super duper monster one. ;)

Bottom line: If you're happy with the performance you're getting now, you're throwing money away by upgrading the video card.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was more just trying to understand the benifit of having one nicer card vs. two of the same card.

I'm assuming that the idea behind two cards is that you're splitting up the duties to each monitor by creating a dual architecture. But would that be more beneficial than just having more power in one card? I suppose that's a loaded and subjective question. But it's one that I would love to hear see some more insight on.

Either way, I'm not sure that I'm ready to even be upgrading what I'm running. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of the concept.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts