Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a video projector purchase, but am wondering how DVDs will run through my Pismo with its 8 meg video card. Does the video card and it's meeger 8 megs have any negative limitations on projecting DVDs onto a screen through a projector?

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I would assume not. How are you connecting the projector to the Pismo? The VGA connector or the S-video connector? If you're connecting it to the S-video connector, it would treat the projector like a TV, I would imagine, with a 640x480 resolution. If you're connecting it to the VGA connector, it would treat it like an external monitor connected to the VGA.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previously, I had run a children's video through someone else's projector with my Pismo (VGA) and every quick movement of cartoon character seemed to have a trailing image. It could have been the DVD itself (?). This is the reason I thought it might be my 8 meg video card. I will be using the projector for digital media (DVD's, etc.), so this is why I am concerned.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Your graphics card should be adequte - afterall, the iMac DV models shipped with a 8 MB graphics card and played DVD's like a charm (although the graphics card in the iMac DV's are far faster than the Pismo's graphics chip - powered by the Rage 128 on a 2X-AGP bus).

·
Registered
154 Posts
According to most DVD software companies, etc. The minimum requirement for playing a DVD well is a 4MB graphics card, but they HIGHLY recommend the 8MB one. I have personally played DVD's through a Pismo before with a projector, with no issues whatsoever. And as for the trailing cartoon characters, that might have been the projector itself. Good Luck

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey csonni,

We use a Pismo exclusively with our projector at work all the time, and never have I seen any issues with DVD playback when connected to the VGA port.

The "ghosting" you were talking about sounds like the projector to me... we've played a lot with them in my office, and I find that some projector actually do that all the time. I'll see if any kept a list of the "ghosting" ones on Monday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts