Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alleged terror plot targeting Via train thwarted

Canadian police say they have arrested two men and thwarted a plot to carry out a major terrorist attack on a Via passenger train in the Greater Toronto Area.

In a press conference that followed an exclusive report by CBC's Greg Weston, police named the two accused as Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, of Montreal, and Raed Jaser, 35, from Toronto. They have been charged with conspiracy to carry out a terrorist attack and "conspiring to murder persons unknown for the benefit of, at the direction of, or in association with a terrorist group."

The two men arrested are not Canadian citizens, police said Monday, but would not provide any details about their nationalities.

The RCMP accused the two men of conspiring to commit an "al-Qaeda-supported" attack.

Police said the two accused were getting "direction and guidance" from al-Qaeda elements in Iran. There was no information to suggest the attacks were state sponsored, police said.

(CBC)

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
apparently FOX news was dissing our police force.. saying we were not fast enough.. LOL

i guess their method works better.. react instead of fort.

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
let the fear mongering begin.
Instead of just shooting a pithy phrase from the hip, why not elaborate?

Should Canadians be worried about this incident:

1) not at all?
2) somewhat?
3) a lot?

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
Since the plot was uncovered and those involved arrested, I opt for number one. I'd say good work to the police on this one.
I would say I'm not at all worried as well. I have no interest in fear-mongering.

·
peek-a-boo
16,438 Posts
I'll go a step further and say good work on the muslim community member who gave the tip that led to this plot being foiled in the first place!

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Instead of just shooting a pithy phrase from the hip, why not elaborate?

Should Canadians be worried about this incident:

1) not at all?
2) somewhat?
3) a lot?
there should be concern, but it does show that our current system is working well.

I would say I'm not at all worried as well. I have no interest in fear-mongering.
so are you against the S7 bill that is being pushed through parliament?

that is what my "fear mongering" was alluding to. reintrouduced after the Boston bombing, and now fuelled by this latest plot.

doesn't make sense to me to have everyone's rights eroded because of potential threats that have been thwarted in this country with our existing laws.

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
...so are you against the S7 bill that is being pushed through parliament?
Unless I misread it, all it does is allow people to sue terrorists or governments who direct them. Even Amnesty International is on board with that.

·
Premium Member
17,745 Posts
there should be concern, but it does show that our current system is working well.

so are you against the S7 bill that is being pushed through parliament?

that is what my "fear mongering" was alluding to. reintrouduced after the Boston bombing, and now fuelled by this latest plot.

doesn't make sense to me to have everyone's rights eroded because of potential threats that have been thwarted in this country with our existing laws.
I completely fail to understand why Cons who should be the ones defending our civil rights are mainly the ones pushing to eliminate them.

Again I am not in the least afraid of terrorists, but we need to keep a very careful eye on those telling us to be afraid.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Unless I misread it, all it does is allow people to sue terrorists or governments who direct them. Even Amnesty International is on board with that.
no, it does much more than that. look into it. libertarians should be aghast.

At issue is S-7, the Combating Terrorism Act, which would authorize police to pre-emptively detain Canadians and hold them for up to three days without charging them.

------

The bill would also allow authorities to imprison a Canadian for up to 12 months if the person refuses to testify in front of a judge at an investigative hearing.
Via Rail train plot brings counterterrorism, civil liberties to top of House

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
no, it does much more than that. look into it. libertarians should be aghast.
And yet, looking through the legislation, I can't find those provisions. Not saying they are not there, but how are they phrased?

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Since the plot was uncovered and those involved arrested, I opt for number one. I'd say good work to the police on this one.
wow.. thats why the titanic sank LOL.. because it was such a small iceberg above the water and and monstrous below the surface..

couldnt disagree more with you..
it was a lucky fluke that he was report by his own 'religious' crowd.. for fear of retribution to Boston.. if boston never happened, it would of been worse..

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
And yet, looking through the legislation, I can't find those provisions. Not saying they are not there, but how are they phrased?
not sure how it's phrased in the legislation. but i trust the globe piece as i've seen the same points brought up in other articles and from other civil liberties groups.

it was a lucky fluke that he was report by his own 'religious' crowd.. for fear of retribution to Boston.. if boston never happened, it would of been worse..
huh? the RCMP have been watching the 2 suspects since last august. The boston bombing had nothing to do with breaking this case.

this is exactly the type of nonsense i was eluding to earlier when i mentioned fear mongering.

·
Premium Member
42,445 Posts
not sure how it's phrased in the legislation. but i trust the globe piece as i've seen the same points brought up in other articles and from other civil liberties groups.
Do none of your sources quote the legislation?

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Civil Liberties and Human Rights Groups United in Opposition to Bill S-7 (Combating Terrorism Act) | BC Civil Liberties Association

that touches on it.

looking at the legislation here is the bit about holding someone for 3 days without charge :

The person who has been detained must be brought before a provincial court judge within 24 hours, or as soon as is feasible (the original wording referred to “as soon as possible”). At that time, a show cause hearing must be held to determine whether to release the person or to detain him or her for a further period. This hearing can be adjourned for a further 48 hours only. The Special Senate Committee amended this provision in 2003, during its review of Bill S-3, in order to narrow the wording setting out the grounds on which an individual may be detained. The committee deleted the words “any other just cause and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing” to bring this provision into line with the Supreme Court of Canada’s decision in R. v. Hall in 2002.22 In that decision, the Supreme Court struck down a section of the Code with similar wording as a violation of sections 7 and 11(e) of the Charter.23

·
peek-a-boo
16,438 Posts
wow.. thats why the titanic sank LOL.. because it was such a small iceberg above the water and and monstrous below the surface..

lucky fluke, and 'his own religious crowd'?

I'd like to see some evidence of either.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
huh? the RCMP have been watching the 2 suspects since last august. The boston bombing had nothing to do with breaking this case.

this is exactly the type of nonsense i was eluding to earlier when i mentioned fear mongering.
if you dont believe in timing then you live in a cave.
its all about timing.. watching is one thing but outside influences and circumstances is another..

·
peek-a-boo
16,438 Posts
timing may well have been a factor, certainly the government suddenly rushing to ram through their anti terrorism bill in a desperate effort to look like leaders comes to mind...
;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts