Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some old family 8mm movies which were transfered to Vhs. What I am wondering is it possible to now transfer these to CD-ROM. And while I am asking is it possible to transfer the 8mm originals to CD-ROM. :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,700 Posts
While I have not done a transfer to CD myself, I believe you need to do the following. Bring in analog (VHS) convert it to digital (using a converter or digital camcorder with this feature), edit it in iMovie and use Toast to burn a video CD. Those are just the broad general steps. I do the exact same thing myself, except I burn a DVD instead (with iDVD, of course) instead of a video CD.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If you're talking 8mm film, you're going to have to get it in some electronic format somehow. Check the yellow pages for a commercial firm (or a better camera store that caters to movie film users) that can do it for a fee; the equipment you will need won't be cost-effective unless you have tons of the stuff. If there is a camera club in your town, contact them and you should be able to find someone who can help.

What they will do is set up the projector to display from behind onto a screen designed for this purpose, and it gives better results. They should be able to record it on VHS or DV, depending on what you want. If you have access to a projector and a screen, you could try filming it with a DV camcorder on a tripod.

If all of them have been transferred to VHS, that simplifies things a bit.

VHS is an analog electronic format, so you can use a VCR and an Analog-Digital converter like those suggested. Don't know about Prince George, but in many larger communities you may be able to rent a DV camcorder to do it.

8mm film is a very high quality format; so if you have any film footage that isn't yet transferred to VHS, use DV to capture the most image quality.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrtech:
Thanks for the suggestions guy's, I take it we are talking about the transfer of the VHS tape here, with the eyetv and such. Is there something that would do it all like transfering the 8mm and the vhs or am I looking at the impossible :D :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can plug a vcr into any of the mentioned devices, I think the EyeTV would give best results in your situation, but try scanning the trading post or ebay for whatever may pop up

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Bjornbro thanks for answering, as I do not have a digital camcorder at this point what other type of converter should I look for. In your reply you mention using a converter. :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Older macs like the powermac 7600 had video inputs built in, newer machines need an analogue video device such as a pci video in out card like something from ATI or matrox, or a uSB TV input device like Eye TV or the ATI TV Xclaim unit, or the Dazzle Hollywood firewire analog to digital coversion unit.
As you can see it all depends on what you have and what you want to spend.
The ATI tv unit often sells used for $75 but gives less features than EYE TV or other options
regards
mark

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guy's, I take it we are talking about the transfer of the VHS tape here, with the eyetv and such. Is there something that would do it all like transfering the 8mm and the vhs or am I looking at the impossible :D :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are there simpler solutions out there? I want to get my 8mm videos from the jacks on my camcorder to my iMac's superdrive ... this EYETV solution looks interesting, but seems way too complex.

·
Registered
503 Posts
And while I am asking is it possible to transfer the 8mm originals to CD-ROM
As technology keeps evolving I would try to think a bit more long-term.

1) Transfer the 8mm film to dv tape via a camcorder (there have already been a few suggestions about that). That's the toughest part.

2) Now you have a digital source that can be transferred not only to dvd but hi-definition dvd (or blue-ray dvd) in a few years time. It is pretty much a given this will be a standard within 10 years.

The idea is to maintain the optimum picture quality and that is best acheived by using the source (8mm film) and recording on the highest possible digital format (dv tape) which you can then downgrade to whatever format you like.

I would avoid using the vhs source because it is already of significantly lower quality then the 8mm originals.

True this is a bit complicated, time-consuming and potentially expensive but, in years to come, you'll be glad you did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts