Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I personally dismiss his accusations, mostly because he states that Apple is a "failed company," yet it doesn't quite look that way to me. I think Apple has been a very successful company, despite only have 3-4 percent of the marketshare (or whatever the exact number is).

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
His perceptions are very accurate and exemplifies what was direly wrong with Apple during that period.
There were fumbles after fumbles of immense opportunities and very poor forecasting.
With situations like having 1 billion in backorders and 1 Billion in the wrong old inventory hard even to give away ( Perfoma's and such)

The educational arm was wagging the dog - preventing the company from moving forward - milking their dominant position for profits from the schools while their competitveness lagged. It goes on and on.

Steve has made immense strides in changing the company in a difficult tech era.

Apple missed their opportunity to be the GM of the computer industry but they remain a significant player and they did indeed change the world.

The failed IBM buyout that would have seen Apple as an independent subsidiary was one typical blunder totally caused by the greed of the executive involved in the fiasco. That would have been a terrific combination with the clout, engineering and vision to challenge Intel/Microsoft of the world playing field.

Apple as a company is very different from the Mac community and can on occasion be at war with the community despite being the mothership.

I don't think anything in the article is startling news to anyone who has been around Macs for a while.

[ September 12, 2003, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Clearly he was talking about the years (late 80's & early 90's) which were when Apple took the biggest nosedive. They lost how many hundreds of millions during that period?

It's like Steve Jobs said -- (paraphrasing) when he left Apple, they were years ahead of the competition... when he returned, they were years behind the competition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts