Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
talking with Rogers hi-speed last nite, they gave me this link to test their bandwidth

it is on one of Rogers in house servers, so you get a more reliable speed estimate

http://www.rogers.com/english/aboutrogers/historyofrogers/virtualmuseum/1932-b/page-13.html

download the movie to disk
Rogers says they view any speed over 200 Kilo Bytes / sec as acceptable

Rogers is/has upgraded their bandwidth to a theoretical limit of 3 Mega Bits / sec. Bell is following suit and rumoured to be upgrading to 4 Mega Bits / sec.

1 byte = 8 bits in case you're wondering how to convert
Don't you just love price / technologies wars?

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Bits / Bytes

I still have to think and calculate every time I talk of this.

So Rogers says 200 KB is acceptable (200 Kilo Bytes)
This translates to 1.6 Mb/s (Mega Bits) (200 000 bytes times 8 bits)

I did the test and it started at 130KB/s and slowly climbed to and toped out at 180KB/s.
(For those that are counting thats 1.44Mb/s)

And I don't have any Lite thingy I have the full deal.

Should I complain?

[ December 19, 2003, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Heart ]

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you have rogers hi-speed, you have a case in point
check out rogers.com and they claim 3 megabits/sec - tell them you are not even getting close to it, not even 1/2
don't take any crap from the CSRs, speak to a manager / supervisor - the front line people don't have power for any rebates

but before you tip your hand with tech. support, ask them what they consider acceptable and see if you get the same answer i did

like the lawyer adage; "never ask a question you already don't know the answer to"

they may give you some mumbo jumbo about upgrades coming soon and then tell them you want a discount until the upgrade comes or you'll go to bell (not a reasonable option as they are horrible and a recent "something" was discovered on bell's network - can't comment further as bell has very good lawyers - let's just say that the ivory towers at bell are shaking)

if rogers cannot get you the performance you are paying for, then your should be paying less

BTW, i average 265 KB / sec on the Rogers website test

good luck
-

ps - when you talk to rogers, keep a pen and paper handy and write down the name and id # of everyone you talk to - it'll pay off later and keep them on their toes

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I get 170 kb/sec but my son is currently on-line playing SOCOM2 so that probably gobbled up 1 or 2 kb/s or so
He keeps Rogers on their toes by calling them up every few weeks and complaining about bandwidth. Sometimes he gets a fellow gamer at Rogers and it often results in tweaks. Makes me wonder how much control Rogers techs have over the cable switches. We live a couple of blocks from the main Rogers depot (York Mills/Leslie) which may or may not make a difference.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I started at 150, dipped to 137 and then only went as high as 163. Heart, when you call mention my name as well.

How am I supposed to download my...er... movie trailers at that speed! :D

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
I'd still be waiting if it was bits..... picky (this is why I could never code.... I have no appreciation of case other than for English grammar.

I've always wondered how much traffic games like SOCOM (with voice communication) create. The darn router lights flash like they're on speed.

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd still be waiting if it was bits.....
:D

apparently Bell is upgrading their service to 4 Mbps down and 700+ kbps up
formal bit caps are now a thing of the past - lesson learned by Bell

gotta love them price wars - i can't wait to see who wants my $40 / month more than the other
:D

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rogers tech. support 1-888-288-4663
in case you feel like making your case
"squeaky wheel gets the grease"

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Those of you not reaching the heights you are able to hit, keep in mind that with Shaw/Rogers you are sharing your connection with all your neighbours, so if you are trying this during peak times (like say, right after dinner time when everyone else is online too) your bandwidth is going to be somewhat diminished, and probably that is what they are going to tell you when you call.

On the up side, late at night on my Shaw Cable connection I get upwards of 6 megabit. It's freaking nuts.

--PB

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
well, downtown GTA, I got aprrox 233 (steady) - however @ 7h30.

H!

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Did a morning test @ 7:20AM EST and I got 225KB/s.

Now I am in acceptable range (via Rogers definition)
225KB/s = 1.8Mb/s

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I'm on Rogers and I get 1479/305: pretty much consistent with what I've been getting for the last 18 months.

Given that Sympatico's now offering 3/mps service, I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting hosed...

My stats were compiled by SpeedTest.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
217.7 KB/s(1.8Mb/s) on Persona cable in Timmins. My speeds vary according to download location. Apple, for instance, has really good bandwidth and I'll peak at 400KB/s a lot of the time. Others I'm lucky to get 50KB/s

·
Banned
14,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
since the file is hosted at Rogers i suggest it is a better test (and better that you can use to complain to rogers about) sine it is their own server

does someone have a bell hosted site that we can use for our bell sympatico people?

don't forget that 3 mbps is the "theoretical" limit
simply put, they all lie
i just want a way to keep them on their toes and keep them in line - since i wrangled this min. level out of rogers, i decided to share

let's get some bell info. on this too

1 - 20 of 33 Posts