Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm experiencing a problem most commonly known as "only knowing how to make a good sandwich." Oh, and I need to open ports and I don't have a clue what to do. I've read around and the sequences people have written to do, for some reason do not apply to my adoring machine. And by adoring I really mean my machine that will never work correctly for me under any circumstances.

I was told to do System Preferences>Sharing>Firewall>New.

This is what happens when I go to sharing,

Maybe I need to have my glasses corrected, but I do not see 'Firewall'.

So then I get to figurein' that I should just go to my 'Firewall'; Which I have found. Alas, when I choose + or 'New' it has me select an application?

Then choosing, +...

In the midst of my confusion I choose 'Advanced...'

Sigh... Someone help me, If you want you can come to New Jersey and I'll make you a sandwich, or I can post you one when I am in Manitoba again...

Yours, Jennifer.

Credentials;

1) Please tell us which computer you are using. 13" Macbook White
2) Which Operating System are you currently running? OS X 10.5.8
3) How much RAM do you have? It says, Processor 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
4) Do you have any 3rd party Peripherals? Negative
5) Have you installed any 3rd party internal components lately? Negative
6) How much free space is left on your Boot Drive? Who?
7) Can you provide a screenshot of the issue? Yes!
8) Tell us what you have tried already. (Permissions Repair, Disk Utility, Disk Warrior?)
9) Try and describe the instance leading to the event. Sometimes, things happen for no reason.. however, it's helpful if you post what you were doing at the time.

·
Registered
443 Posts
What do you need to open ports for. Being that you are on a macbook, I am going to assume that you connect to the internet through a wireless router connected to your modem. It is there that you will have to open the ports. What kind of router do you have and what ports do you need to open. (ie. what is your end goal for opening these ports, is there an application that won't work unless you do?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to open ports for Vuze, also iChat because that doesn't work right either. I have a netgear router, it says try between 49152 and 65534.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Chances are that it is the router that needs to have it's ports changed, and not opened, but mapped to the correct machine.

There are external and internal IP addresses. To the outside world, your external IP address is what they see. Your router keeps most ports closed. Think of a port as being similar to a person working in a big office back in the old days and your router as being the telephone switchboard operator.

An incoming communication comes in and you router looks at it and says "hmmm, port 1234, I've been told to forward that to machine number 192.168.1.101" and so it does.

My best advice? Get an Apple Airport router, either the Extreme, Express, or Time Capsule. The reason is that the software that is required to administer your router is so simple to use. And they are designed to work with Macs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Steve, I will try to figure this out, and when I am back in the Motherland a sandwich will be sent your way.

·
Registered
443 Posts
You can do this with your current router. I am not familiar with the interface, but you should be able to login to the router through a web browser. There is usually an IP address on the router "192.168.0.1" or similar that you would type into your web browser to be able to change the settings on the router. You will have to check your manual on how to do this or give me the exact model number and I might be able to find a manual online for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts