Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience using this type of modem ? You are able to answer an incoming call while on the internet with a dial-up connection.
Is it possible to upgrade an old 28.8 Supra modem to the V.92 standard with software ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I highly doubt it - I wouldn't even bother looking for such an upgrade, it's so unlikely to exist.
I don't think the modem hardware could handle the requirements, even if the software development cost was worth the effort. 28.8 modems contain software written to tight memory and MIPS constraints.
The only upgrades I ever saw were from K56Flex to v.90.
Just my two cents.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
About the incoming call thing, it only allows you to pick up the phone for like 1-2 minutes - just enough time to tell the caller to call back or say bye. Other V.90 modems can't be upgraded to the V.92 standard, but you can buy software for your Mac to allow you to pick up the phone for 1-2 minutes while connected.. that or a hardware device. I read about that some place a while ago.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I'm not positive of this, but I believe I read at one time that Jaguar updates the internal modems on G4 destops to v.92 standard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts