Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really sad that legislation along these lines is even needed. I know that my generation is far healthier for having grown up in a free range environment.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article...igns-law-legalizing-free-range-parenting.html

SALT LAKE CITY — So-called free-range parenting will soon be the law of the land in Utah after the governor signed what appears to be the country's first measure to formally legalize allowing kids to do things on their own to foster self-sufficiency.

The bill, which Gov. Gary Herbert announced Friday that he'd signed, specifies that it isn't neglectful to let kids do things alone like travel to school, explore a playground or stay in the car. The law takes effect May 8.

Utah's law is the first in the country, said Lenore Skenazy, who coined the term free-range parent. A records search by the National Conference of State Legislatures didn't turn up any similar legislation in other states.

Utah lawmakers said they were prompted to pass the law after seeing other states where parents had been investigated and in some cases had their children temporarily removed when people reported seeing kids playing basketball in their yards or walking to school alone.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Uh oh, is that some sanity I see taking place?

Time to rein in the progs and their stupidity. Let kids grow up to be adults complete with risk and self reliance. Go ahead kids, ride that merry go round and ride it fast. It's a lot of fun. Hopefully Mom has a band-aid on hand for when you get too brave, fall off and skin yer elbow. Because you will. ;)

·
Premium Member
42,487 Posts
Yup. It's amazing that with all of the "care" kids are being shown, kids aren't remarkably safer or injured less often than they used to be. We had a couple of rules about fun time, depending on our age:

Don't cross certain busy streets. Don't take candy from strangers. Be home promptly at lunch and supper time, unless you make alternate arrangements

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yup. It's amazing that with all of the "care" kids are being shown, kids aren't remarkably safer or injured less often than they used to be. We had a couple of rules about fun time, depending on our age:

Don't cross certain busy streets. Don't take candy from strangers. Be home promptly at lunch and supper time, unless you make alternate arrangements
We had similar rules...I was a child of '79... so in addition to above rules ours were
while out at the park/school playground/playing road hockey 10 streets away, etc.. didn't matter. if your going, go/walk with a friend(s) and our overwatcher/clock management were those pesky streetlights.... When they came on, fun time was over and it was time to head home.

BReligion

1 - 4 of 4 Posts