Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I partitioned my hard drive awhile ago to begin using XP, but am running low on hard drive space and need to redo it so there's more space.

any ideas about the best way to do this?

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
If you used bootcamp, you can use it again to recover your space. :)

If you didn't use bootcamp, there are other drive partitioning softwares that allow you to recover partitions, but I don't have experience with any of them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you used bootcamp, you can use it again to recover your space. :)

If you didn't use bootcamp, there are other drive partitioning softwares that allow you to recover partitions, but I don't have experience with any of them.
so just follow the same procedure as if i hadn't partitioned my hard drive to use XP ever?

·
Registered
682 Posts
so just follow the same procedure as if i hadn't partitioned my hard drive to use XP ever?
1) backup critical data on XP install.
2) Run bootcamp assistant.
3) Choose the option to format bootcamp partition and create one large Mac OS X partition.
4) In bootcamp assistant, repartition harddrive
5) pop in XP C and reinstall on the smaller partition
6) transfer critical data

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
I partitioned my hard drive awhile ago to begin using XP, but am running low on hard drive space and need to redo it so there's more space.

any ideas about the best way to do this?
Or get Mac Drive which is software that you install on your Windows install that lets you see and read and write to your Mac formatted drives while booted into BootCamp. There is a free demo version so you can try before you buy. I use it, it works great.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It's a one way street from Windows to Mac not the other way around. If I am interpreting your question correctly.
Ah, ok. Right now transferring back and forth between a bootcamp partition and a Mac harddrive is what keeps bootcamp from being 100% perfect (still consider it 98% good since Apple has provided good drivers on the leopard CD). It's just that I rarely boot out of Mac OS: I only use windows in Parallels so being able to write to the bootcamp partition would be neat... maybe one day (and no, I wouldn't consider making the windows partition fat32)!

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts
Ah, ok. Right now transferring back and forth between a bootcamp partition and a Mac harddrive is what keeps bootcamp from being 100% perfect (still consider it 98% good since Apple has provided good drivers on the leopard CD). It's just that I rarely boot out of Mac OS: I only use windows in Parallels so being able to write to the bootcamp partition would be neat... maybe one day (and no, I wouldn't consider making the windows partition fat32)!
Yeah that would still be a no go to write from the Mac to the BootCamp partition if NTFS. But being that with Mac Drive you can access and write to the files on the Mac formatted drive(s) when in Windows, you can still have access to the same files on both systems so long as you keep them on your non-BootCamp partition. So even though it may not get BootCamp to the 100% you are looking for, in my estimation, Mac Drive gets it up to 99.5%.

No, I wouldn't suggest fat32, the size limitation is, well, just too limiting.

Yes, I too use virtualization for most things Windows. I have used Parallels but now use VMware Fusion as it can utilize two processors and not just one as with Parallels so it is it faster, but if Parallels floats your boat it is good as well.

There are really only two things I use BootCamp for, gaming and Napster (the legal one). I still bring the music files back over to the Mac so that is why Mac Drive was a great find for me, I can save them directly to the Mac drive where I want them and no more moving them around.

·
Registered
682 Posts
But being that with Mac Drive you can access and write to the files on the Mac formatted drive(s) when in Windows, you can still have access to the same files on both systems so long as you keep them on your non-BootCamp partition.
True. But I don't like booting into WinXP so that's why it's a less interesting. I use iTunes for Windows to convert *.wma files to mp3 and I use parallels to send files back and forth between Windows/Mac OS.

Yes, I too use virtualization for most things Windows. I have used Parallels but now use VMware Fusion as it can utilize two processors and not just one as with Parallels so it is it faster, but if Parallels floats your boat it is good as well.
two processors? sounds cool, please elaborate.

edit: I've been reading about VMWare fusion and on their site they talk of two «virtual processors». I'm not sure if I understand the implications of that... would that mean that you could assign one processor core to Mac OS and the other to Windows?

G

·
True. But I don't like booting into WinXP so that's why it's a less interesting. I use iTunes for Windows to convert *.wma files to mp3 and I use parallels to send files back and forth between Windows/Mac OS.
You can open wma files (and save as other formats) directly in OSX using Quicktime Player if you install the windows media components (flip4mac), no need for windows.

·
Registered
111 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts