Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been using iCloud Drive for a select number of files that I need “on the go.” Been thinking lately that I’d consider just simply uploading all my files to the Cloud for remote access, which means I’d need to upgrade from 20GB to the next level. That means taking the actual file off of my Mac and putting it in the Cloud. Is there any way of using an alias method rather than the actual file? I’m a bit hesitant to transfer all my files (which are many). How many of you actually store all your files in iCloud Drive? Do you feel their as safe (or safer) there than on your Mac?

·
Administrator
407 Posts
Personally, I prefer using a cloud backup service. That way you still have the file locally on your system. I also use a disk imaging program giving me multiple different backups in case there is an issue with one or the other.

I have no experience with the iCloud Drive. I have the notes from my iPhone SE 2022 stored in iCloud. But those do not contain critical information, so I'm not worried if there is an issue.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
I can think of a number of reasons I would not want my files all residing in the cloud, any cloud. Nowadays there is a new wrinkle to consider. Looking back on the federal government freezing a single mom's bank account because she contributed $20 to the Ottawa convoy, we now have to at least consider the possibility of lunatics in Ottawa ordering your provider to lock you out, even if their excuse is beyond flimsy.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never did like the idea about storing vital info on the cloud environment. Not sure of what iOS app is out there that can actually "clone" (as it were) over my files from my MBP to my iPad. They both have 1TB storage. I have ChronoSync and SuperDuper for the such from my MBP to an external hard drive but nothing comparable from MBP to iPad.

·
Administrator
383 Posts
Looking back on the federal government freezing a single mom's bank account because she contributed $20 to the Ottawa convoy, we now have to at least consider the possibility of lunatics in Ottawa ordering your provider to lock you out, even if their excuse is beyond flimsy.
That has absolutely nothing to do with storing your data in the cloud. It is more conspiracy theory than anything else. This is also on the verge of turning into a political conversation, which is not welcome here.

The question the OP had was using Apple’s iCloud Drive to store all of their files.
I’ve been using iCloud Drive for a select number of files that I need “on the go.” Been thinking lately that I’d consider just simply uploading all my files to the Cloud for remote access, which means I’d need to upgrade from 20GB to the next level. That means taking the actual file off of my Mac and putting it in the Cloud. Is there any way of using an alias method rather than the actual file? I’m a bit hesitant to transfer all my files (which are many). How many of you actually store all your files in iCloud Drive? Do you feel they’re as safe (or safer) there than on your Mac?
I personally use iCloud Drive quite a bit for storing and accessing files remotely. I don’t use it for all of my Mac files. The only reason I don’t is because I use Dropbox for all my data from all my devices. From what I read, iCloud Drive will free up space on your Mac as the files in iCloud are on demand. Meaning it will only download to your mac if it needs to be edited. Other than that, it just resides in iCloud.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
How many of you actually store all your files in iCloud Drive? Do you feel their as safe (or safer) there than on your Mac?
Unless you remove the local files, they will be on your Mac and in iCloud. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I store quite a bit there, my documents for one. I keep a backup of my RAW files there too; I drop new files in a dated folder, let it upload, let Time Machine backup and then remove the downloads so they aren't taking additional room. I also send those files to my NAS.

·
Premium Member
16,572 Posts
Whenever I move a file from my Mac to iCloud Drive, it literally moves. The same from the other direction. Is there an option somewhere to avoid that?
You might find the answer to that here:

Or among the hits from here:

I basically don't use iCloud or iCloud Drive, at least I certainly don't use it to the point that I actually use it or rely on it nor do I know very much on how it works or actually how to use it. Even then I doubt if I would ever use it properly, and I know I would never I actually rely on it, at least not without a guaranteed backup fully under my control.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 8 of 8 Posts