Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was about to purchase a new Sony MD player until I noticed that the software included was not compatible with my Mac. What do I need in order to make them compatible?

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
The software will likely never run on Mac, and to my knowledge, there is no 3rd party software to do this. However, it is a simple USB device... maybe VPC will work?

However, you can use your minidisc's optical audio input to transfer music in digital quality. All you need in your G4 is an optical audio out. There is no sound difference between sending audio via software, and recording via optical. The only difference is the time and effort involved.

It's too bad Sony keeps dropping the ball on Minidisc. It was, and still is, the best portable music standard available. I have a portable recorder, adn a minidisc car deck, and love it. Perfect technology for car decks. Small discs so you can have tons of music with you, hard cased so you can throw then around and not worry about scratches... It's a shame it never caught on (thanks to Sony's stronghold on the technology)

A7

·
Registered
189 Posts
I could not agree more. Sony seems to have not just perfected but, invented this concept. I am more intrested in seeing if Apple has been taking notes. I think the iPod could be the ultimate portable music device. First mac users, then windows users and now VW buyers. The VW/iPod intro could be only the begining for Apples entry into the Auto world. It would be cool if Apple could develop the iPod to just fit plug and play style directly into the deck itself. From office to pocket to car. Now that would be portable.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I was/sorta still am a fan of the MD. I had one in the early years of the new format (Sharp 702). I've not looked into this in a minute, but I know that even with PCs - NetMD was kinda flawed. They mentioned MAC compatibility, but I read somewhere that there were numerous issues. You should go to Minidisc.org for ALL the info that you need re: the device, the science and most models ever released. As well, they posted a petition as NetMD will not allow you to upload a recording to your computer. Though you could do it in real time, but who wants to do that! defeats the purpose entirely.

But on another note, the day that Apple creates a recording capable iPod?? The game will be over. Basically hard disk recording which we know is more than very capable. I would sacrifice a bit of size to do so (ie, to go back to the original form factor - just a touch thicker). Just add a gain, and a few other details like an optical line and 1/8" in jack. Done. Like an iPod Pro. What do you cats think??

H!

·
Registered
141 Posts
My brother has a minidisc player that works just fine with his Mac under VPC. He loves the thing to death, and almost put off buying his iBook because he initially thought there was no way to get them working together.

With Virtual PC, the MD player doesn't even know the difference....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ipodpro sounds like a brilliant idea, but I guess I'll have to stick with an MD player run with VPC for now. Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts