Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
}<-('o')-
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's faithful 2007 Macbook is slowly succumbing to its current environment of sea air (she lives on a ship) and is rapidly becoming unusable. We were warned ahead of time that the sea air takes a toll on non-sea prepped electronics. I believe the salt air has corroded the electronics, so for instance, only about 90% of the keyboard works. Small things are starting to go wonky on the iPhone...I shudder to think how the new (in August) iPad is doing.

She will be another few months in this atmosphere, but needs a replacement MacBook ASAP (but I won't be able to take it to her until the end of this month ). Because the replacement is basically going to be another sacrificial lamb (RAM?) to the sea air, I don't want to get a new machine.

Anyone selling a poor unsuspecting Macbook (2007 or newer) that wants to go to sea?

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
Check your local Craigslist or Kijiji... Usually some good deals there on that era MacBooks.

·
Premium Member
42,442 Posts
The typical craigslist ad I'm seeing: $450 for MacBook in perfect condition--two bands across screen that can be seen from a certain angle only, battery does not hold a charge, one key missing, crack in trackpad, hairline crack along edge, CD/DVD drive needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
The typical craigslist ad I'm seeing: $450 for MacBook in perfect condition--two bands across screen that can be seen from a certain angle only, battery does not hold a charge, one key missing, crack in trackpad, hairline crack along edge, CD/DVD drive needs to be replaced.
Hey that sounds like my ad!
:D

·
}<-('o')-
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your local Craigslist or Kijiji... Usually some good deals there on that era MacBooks.
Thanks for the reponse G-Mo, but I'd rather not buy through Slagslist or Kijiji if I don't have to.
Yup.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi KC4. I can swap your daughter's damaged macbook for a fully working one. I have many 1181 models that I repaired and refurbished in the past weeks. When I say "refurbished" it means completely taken apart, dusted off and cleaned, all parts and ports verified (fan and optical drive fully cleaned), fresh thermal paste applied on processor and GPU (Artic Silver 5), lithium hinges lubrication, internal cables/connectors visual inspection, all internal/external screws tightened, case/keyboard cleaned, etc. When I finish with a unit it's in pretty good condition and working great.
It could be a good solution for you and me since you pay less for a replacement unit and I can use the working parts of the faulty machine to salvage other macbooks.

Just PM me if interested and we'll discuss about it.

·
}<-('o')-
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks GlassOnion - Nice machine at a nice price, nicely packed and shipped.

Daughter will be pleased. If not, I'll keep it for myself.

·
Apple Certified
2,726 Posts
Well... Looks like this worked out good for everyone...

·
}<-('o')-
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You spoke too soon G-Mo.

GlassOnion! The machine didn't even last a day after she sailed away from The Bahamas!

My daughter loved the machine and it was working great until it was murdered by an exploding bottle of shampoo which was loitering in the same backpack.

The Macbook is now all clean, shiny and full of body, but sadly completely inoperable.
She's now in Bermuda and is going to try to get it into a computer shop for their assessment, but I think it's a goner.

I blame the Bermuda Triangle.

Can I have a refund?

Just kidding. Do you (or anyone else) have any other poor innocent used Macbooks you wish to sell me and ultimately send to their death?

Pencil and paper for school work is looking better and better to me all the time.

·
}<-('o')-
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks GlassOnion and However...

As far as shipping the shampooed one back to Canada, that would be prohibitively costly at the moment. It will probably eventually return home in a suitcase, (the computer version of returning home in a box) but that won't be for months.

In the meantime, a Bermudian computer repair shop has somehow managed to get her older sea air corroded macbook working acceptably with some rework and the addition of a bluetooth keyboard. That hopefully, will limp along functionally for the remainder of the semester.

The Bermudian tech stated that he could likely repair the sudsy MB by "Frankensteining" it, but this would require more time than my daughter has in this port.

And yes However, she bought a protective case....today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts