Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new Mac , the dell im typing this on got adware from the 5th website I visited ( canon mp180 drivers) while my mac didn't even need one.

I need a mac that will surf the internet reasonable fast , word process without dying and that is portable ( Laptop or Mini) for my summer online courses.

What do you guys recomend for the 500$ neighbourhood.

I was really considered getting a pc laptop to tide me over till Leopard and Perhaps a new Macbook Pro and definetly a free iPod. But after using my pc for a few days......nah:ptptptptp

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Would you need a laptop or desktop? Do you have a keyboard, monitor or mouse?

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
If you do want a new Mac laptop this year, say in 6 to 8 months, you could get a $400-$500 used iBook or Powerbook now and sell it in the fall or before Christmas, Im sure you can get a decent iBook for under $500, maybe in the 700mhz G3 range or maybe a high end titanium G4 book in the 500 to 667 mhz range
The value of these will not drop too much, so you can recover most of your money, maybe 70%, if you resell them 6 to 8 months down the road and you get to use a mac all year.

so start checking our classifieds and you should land something within a week or two Im sure.
Im keeping my rock solid 1.0 ghz G4 iBook, It does what I need to do very nicely and the battery still holds up and the wireless works fine so I have no need to upgrade for a couple more years.
Mark

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you do want a new Mac laptop this year, say in 6 to 8 months, you could get a $400-$500 used iBook or Powerbook now and sell it in the fall or before Christmas, Im sure you can get a decent iBook for under $500, maybe in the 700mhz G3 range or maybe a high end titanium G4 book in the 500 to 667 mhz range
The value of these will not drop too much, so you can recover most of your money, maybe 70%, if you resell them 6 to 8 months down the road and you get to use a mac all year.

so start checking our classifieds and you should land something within a week or two Im sure.
Im keeping my rock solid 1.0 ghz G4 iBook, It does what I need to do very nicely and the battery still holds up and the wireless works fine so I have no need to upgrade for a couple more years.
Mark
That really sounds very tempting , im just afraid of it breaking , should I have something to fear? Hardwear failure wise

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Failure is certainly a risk with used equipment bought in private sales as is and no warrentee, likely at this point, a 3 year old laptop will likely go another 8 months withmaybe just the battery or screen going a little downhil.
Of course if you can wait til Fall and get the new Mac Book of your dreams, well then wait, but if you want to use a mac book now on the cheap then you can take your chances, try a reputable seller or someone with lots of posts, say over 500 to weed out the fly by nighters.
Ive had pretty good luck buying and selling in the classified here on ehMac.
Im sort of in the market for a lowend Powwerbook or iBook myself, but I have very low power needs for this, so a 300-500mhz machine is what i want , but I need a 14 inch screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts