Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at work as a mid 2011 iMac. He is looking to get a new Mac as he cannot upgrade any further. I suggested a Mac Mini because of the price point. He wants to use his old iMac as a monitor and I know this can be done starting with mid 2011 (which his is). Can I run HDMI from the Mac Mini M1 to an adapter that turns it into the display port/thunderbolt port to connect to the iMac to use it as a screen? I am assuming it will work but not 100% positive with the HDMI converting to thunderbolt.

·
Premium Member
15,694 Posts
Can I run HDMI from the Mac Mini M1 to an adapter that turns it into the display port/thunderbolt port to connect to the iMac to use it as a screen? I am assuming it will work but not 100% positive with the HDMI converting to thunderbolt.

Using your subject line for a Google search provides lots of hits and even some that give some extra suggestions for improving the whole connection setup;

And this might improve things even more:

- Patrick
=======

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I believe you have to go thunderbolt to thunderbolt, so a Thunderbolt 4/3 to 2 adapter.

It's a bit of a pain doing so though. You need to keep a keyboard handy so that you can enter target display mode on the iMac. Not to mention the excessive power consumption; if he's not doing something else with the iMac while it's being a target display, that's a pretty big waste.

·
Premium Member
42,496 Posts
I'd be more inclined to buy a used monitor of the same size than to go that route. As polywog says, this is a frustrating way to add a monitor to your Mac Mini.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts