Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of travelling on highways at night, and would love to get one of those USB LED flexilights - but I think $15+ is way too expensive. Does anyone know how to build one of these? I figure it can't be harder than an LED and a resistor plugged into the USB port.

I don't know much about USB though - so if I'm way off, excuse my ignorance...

Anil

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are you kidding me? You own a laptop and you think $15 is too expensive!

Definitly not trying to sound harsh but the time you invest in figuring out how to splice a USB cable, a resistor and an led not to mention the cost of a cable, a stiff yet moveable arm or a bracket or something to hold it to your computer ... you'll end up spending a day or more that could have been better used.

By the way I was at Winners the other day and I believe i saw some cheap usb lights there. Can't say how good they are, but if i remember correctly they were between 10 - 15 bucks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I expected that kinda response.

It just annoys me that they're marking up a $1.00 LED, a $0.10 resistor, and that other crap for $15.00.

But thanks for the winners connection, I may end up going that route.

To see more fantastic examples of my cheapness, see my post on rebuilding powerbook batteries...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If you could buy one for $15, I say do it.

I won't argue that it doesn't contain an inexpensive LED and a power resistor. However, it also requires a USB port connector, some special (but not expensive) cable, and the flex cable. At this point, at good electronics store pricing (not Radio Shack) I'm up to about $3 or $4. And it's going to be ugly, so a few bucks slaying that dragon will also have to be spent.

It's my humble opinion that if you have the skill to put one together, your time is worth more than the $10 you're going to save.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Hey, I saw this one for $12.49.

The price you pay as mentioned before is for convenience, loss of time and burnt skin and/or eye brows

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[Sigh]

Thanks everyone, guess I will cave and buy one. Is there anything to be worried about in terms of applying pressure to the LCD screen (with the clip model at RC)?

·
Registered
762 Posts
The light from RS doesn't put enough pressure to do any damage but enough to hold it securely to the screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts