Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmmm... Just checked out the Samsung site. No real notes re: compatibility. You may have to call 1 800 SAMSUNG to get the news you need.

Let me know how that Samsung works out. Although they have been making some strides in Electronics, and are well and affordably priced, I've not heard the most favorable reviews - like noisy operations of the cam. Good luck!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I saw one article where someone bought a Samsung camcorder because it said Mac compatible, but after some time with Samsung support found out that it wasn't!! :(

PS.- I made the switch and will never look back again :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just bought a Samsung SC-D71 camcorder at a great price in anticipation of my soon-to-be-here mac. I've been looking on Apple's site and looked at the camcorder compatability page, and no where on there does it list any Samsung camcorders; only Canon, JVC, Panasonic and Sony. Does Apple have some sort of connection with them to only list their products, or do only those makes work on a mac? Does anyone have a Samsung camcorder that works? Any ideas? cause otherwise I'll have to bring this thing back within my 14 days...

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
You will have to see for yourself. Samsung do have a good reputation for value, so it's probably a good camcorder. But, if compatibility with my Mac was important, I would stick with Canon and Sony. Older JVC models were flaky (even though they were supposed to be supported), I don't know about the new ones.

Compatibility has more to do with the Firewire interface, the chips used, and how well they implemented the IEEE 1394 standard.

Just so you know, Apple's flat panel displays are made by Samsung and Apple owns part of the company, so it's not like they don't talk to each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts