Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a PowerPC G4 here. It has 512MB and an empty slot.

I went out and bought a 512MB PC133 SDRAM 168-pin memory stick. I installed in on the second slot but the system is not recognizing it.

Does anyone know if MAC's accept certain types of memory modules? Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to do something additionally for the system to recognize the memory?

i'm very new to mac...

thanks

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
More information required. What kind of Mac, besides it being a G4? Tower, iMac, graphite in color, blue in color? PowerBook, iBook?

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Hello all,

I have a PowerPC G4 here. It has 512MB and an empty slot.

I went out and bought a 512MB PC133 SDRAM 168-pin memory stick. I installed in on the second slot but the system is not recognizing it.

Does anyone know if MAC's accept certain types of memory modules?
Correct

Am I doing something wrong?
No, apart from choosing the wrong modules

Do I have to do something additionally for the system to recognize the memory?
No,, the Mac will automatically recognize and use the memory once installed.

Assumption: Since you installed a 168 pin DIMM, then you have a PowerMac G4 tower, am I correct?

If your machine is a PCI graphics machine (the "Yikes" motherboard - 350 and 400 MHz), it cannot take 512 Mb DIMMs at all. You have to use 256 Mb low density DIMMs.

If your machine is an AGP graphics "Sawtooth" motherboard (350, 400 and up MHz), then it will take Low density 512 Mb DIMMs.

Note that the speeds of the models overlap, so you will have to positively identify it. If you go into About this Mac under the Apple menu, and choose More Information, then you should be able to see if the graphic card is on a AGP bus. If it is, then you have the later "Sawtooth" motherboard.

Or look at this Apple article Power Mac G4: How to Differentiate Between Models

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Sorry guys and thanks for the quick responses. I have an eMac, 1GHz Processor, 512MB ram.
This one:
http://www.ndtvgadgets.com/images/bigGallery/emac2.jpg
Sorry, I can't run the mactracker until later on tonight when i'm back at home.
OK: This machine comes in two versions, the USB 1.1 version with PC133 168-pin RAM, and the USB 2.0 version with DDR PC2700 184-pin RAM.

The USB 1.1 PC133 unit can take 2 x 512 Mb PC133 DIMMs, for a total of 1 Gb

The USB 2.0 DDR version can take 2 x 1 Gb PC2700 DDR DIMMs for a total of 2 Gb.

If you have already tried PC133 168 pin RAM and it physically fit properly in the slots, then you have the earlier PC133 model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes your right, it's the 168PIN module. The module snapped in w.o any problems. Maybe it's faulty? The only thing that I noticed different was that the new module stuck out a bit more than the original stick, it was a bit wider.
When I view the memory properties, it shows nothing in the 2nd slot.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Yes your right, it's the 168PIN module. The module snapped in w.o any problems. Maybe it's faulty? The only thing that I noticed different was that the new module stuck out a bit more than the original stick, it was a bit wider.
When I view the memory properties, it shows nothing in the 2nd slot.
Potentially, you didn't push it all the way into the socket -- use both thumbs on it and press until you hear a click from each end of the socket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts