Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about upgrading my 250GB hard drive in my Macbook Pro to a 500GB drive, and from some quick research, I've found the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 is a good choice for the MBP...

My question is, what's the difference between the Seagate Momentus with G-Force protection, and the one without it... aaand is it worth getting the G-Force protected version for the Macbook Pro? I know the G-Force is some kind of protection from drops and sudden movement of your laptop so it doesn't damage the drive, but don't Macbooks already have some sort of sensor like that built in?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
The G-Force protectionr refers to a sudden motion sensor, designed to stop the drive during free-fall to reduce damage. The MBP already has this, and if memory serves it can conflict with the G-Force technology. Regardless, it serves no benefit to Mac owners.

·
Premium Member
3,895 Posts
For Macs, go with the ST9500420AS model, not the ST9500420ASG

As mentioned, the G feature is redundant and possibly conflicting.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I had the G-force model in a macbook pro and didn't have any problems. but as others have said it's probably unnecessary.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have the non G-Force model, because it was cheaper. And like others said, the MacBook has its own accelerometer for sudden motion sensing to stop the HD. That said, I don't see why it would be a problem to buy the G-Force version, just an unnecessary redundancy in features. I would just buy whichever one you can get cheaper.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The "G" feature of these drives will not conflict with any MB/MBP - the drive will work fine without issue.

·
Premium Member
4,415 Posts
I just upgraded my MBP 15" (non unibody) with a 7200.4 (non-G) and it's flying! With Snow Leopard and this drive, my MBP feels faster than new :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts