Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

upgrading cpu on a g3/350 rev b

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  taco taco burrito 
#1 ·
anyone know what good options i have? i know its zif i am looking for. i don't really get what roll agp plays in this, i just know i don't have it... i'd ideally like to get something used and cheap...

#2 ·
You can get anything from G4/700 MHz 1 MB L2 cards to G4/1 GHz 512k L2 cards; to the smaller G3/500 MHz and G4/500 MHz ZIF cards. Although I'm not sure any of those are cheap in price. Generally speaking though, it's probably not worth spending $400-$500 on a 700 MHz G4 upgrade card in a non-AGP based machine. Especially since AGP-based machines at 400 MHz are selling here on ehMac right now for $600 and have much better performance and upgrade options in both the processor and video fields.

#3 ·
thanks lars! yea, you are right for sure. its not worth spending more than say $75 - $150 on an upgrade card. i guess i will just have to keep an eye on the trading post and see if anyone has something to get rid of... or maybe i should just get rid of the thing and replace it with a faster used system...

#4 ·
or maybe i should just get rid of the thing and replace it with a faster used system...
Agreed. You can probably sell that for $300-$400 depending on specs, and there you got about half the money needed for a used AGP-based "Sawtooth" Power Mac G4. And like I said, AGP-based G4's have a lot of upgrade potenital in them; far more than PCI-only machines, anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.