Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the computers at work is a 2012 iMac, the first of the slim models with no super drive. It is used for prepress and graphics using Adobe CC (Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop). It has a traditional hard drive which can be very slow at times, seems to move like a turtle to me but I am using a 5k iMac with 1TB flash drive so anything less is unbearable.

Anyways, I was thinking I should upgrade the hard drive to an SSD, but prices are a bit high for that and not sure if there is any direct swap of a regular hard drive to an SSD, as well as fan issues.

Will this machine support a fusion drive? I am assuming yes but want to be sure. Second, does Apple do these kind of swaps? It has always felt like pulling nails to get any information for upgrades or work done on a computer that was not in warranty.

·
Super Moderator
1,749 Posts
I went the external Thunderbolt route with my 2011 iMac, and it's fantastic. Might be a better option than the surgery required to swap the internal drive.

On the fusion drive, I don't think it's anything more magical than an SSD/HD hybrid. I don't see why it wouldn't be supported, but I don't think Apple sells them after the fact. You may need to get a Hybrid drive.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I bought one of these 1 Tb kits from OWC. It's expensive but I saved the cost of having someone do the installation. The installation went smoothly and the OWC fan control device appears to work flawlessly.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I will have to look into a do it myself option. When googling I came up with the same answer, Apple does not do upgrades that differ from the original spec.

I wanted something done by Apple so I did not have any fan issues. I have a Mac Mini I upgraded to an SSD last year and had to add some software to control the fans. I do not mind for that computer as it is only used for email, the iMac I want to upgrade is used for real graphics work so did not want to cut any corners and have heat issues or an annoying fan running all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts