Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...well. I wouldn't call them extra. I ended up with 6 screws left...one of them was a long screw (don't go there).

I successfully replaced my broken cd-rom with a combo drive today as well as fixed the squeaky hinge and upgraded the ram.

It was a lengthly process, but, being kind of handy and using the guides found at http://www.powerbooktech.com I was able to get everything apart.

Despite placing the screws in different containers with some labelling, I ended up with some extra screws. Reluctantly, I opened the case again and could not find where they went.

An Apple techie warned me about the screws and their sensitivity (some hold current). I did follow proper grounding procedures.

I followed the steps in reverse and ended up with the extra parts. I knew of two from the cd-rom unit (holding the ide cable in place - not required as the cable held itself quite well), but the others are a mystery.

So, I booted up my iBook and then....

...everything worked out fine. The new combo drive was recognized, the ram was too. I left my machine on...sleep as normal. I had one strange thing happen though. I shut down my iBook and it would not start!! I screamed! I fried my logic board or something!!!!

I removed the battery and started again using the external power supply. No problem. I installed the battery again....no problem.

So. Anyone want a screw?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Just make sure that the long screw you have left isn't the one that holds the top case on.It screws on from the bottom to the left of the sleep led.
Another 4 easily overlooked ones are the ones at the end of the battery and inside the CD area.The latter 2 have to be put on with the drive in place and with the drive open,a little tough to get at.
And no.....I really don't.

·
Registered
141 Posts
About three years ago I had the heater core go on my Ford Taurus in the middle of winter. Being a poor (and cheap) student at the time, I decided to replace it myself. It involves removing the dashboard of the car (which, intern, involves taking out part of the steering column).

After a week of work, I finally got it back together. I had my uncle, who knew all about cars, come over to check out the work I did, and get his opinion on the the small box of parts I had left over.

To quote my uncle: "Huh, less then a 1lb of screws & bolts left over, and your first time too boot... Nice work!"

Moral of the story? If it boots up, and doesn't rattle, just sweep them into a drawer while whistling innocently. 8)

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fabulous!!!! Thanks very much! This pdf chart showing the screw location um...(please....don't go there) is excellent.

Enough about screws. How's 'bout them Jays?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It is my opinion that when you take stuff apart those leftover parts just arn't needed. Until of course it dosn't work any more.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On my iBook there's a strange little magnet that needs to be removed gently. A little screw is located underneath it. When I out everything back together again, I must have installed a screw right underneath this little screw. I could not install the little screw, however was able to place the magnet back into it's resting place.

Now, what on earth is this little magnet for?

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
May I ask which model Combo you installed?

H!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought it was a combo drive, but it is just a DVD-ROM/CD-ROM. I ran TOAST and no CD_R was recognized. I bought it from eBay and the dude said it was a combo drive. Nope.

SR-8176
Mat****a

Unless I am missing something.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, the iBook was a challenge to get open and work in. Lots and lots of screws.

Anyway, I using it as we speak with no problems. I thought the drive I installed was a combo unit, but it is only a DVD-ROM/CD-ROM drive. Oh well.

I will have to remove the bottom case again to install that screw that holds the top case in place. Argh.

As for that magnet, it flew in with no problems. Do you think I have to remove the top case to install the proper screw, or do you think I am safe Korn?

Also, have you had the wandering trackpad issue? Sometimes my pointer jumps around the screen. I did clean the trackpad and things were ok for a while. But now it is jumpy again. ANd....my trackpad is lifting (not due to the cleaning). Any fixes for that?

AND....my iBook won't stay closed. Latch broken? Fix for that?

·
Registered
691 Posts
The keyboard might be a bit "jumpy" without the magnet being firm.Does the screw that you installed under the plastics catch the magnet?It shouldn't come out easily.If,for example,you lift the keyboard does the screw stay in the plastic or is it attached to the back of the keyboard?If it is on the keyboard I would say open it up and replace the screws.
My trackpad is a bit unstable,but it is in good condition so I think it is just the nature of the iBook.I have to press rather hard for it to really know where I want it to go.As far as it lifting.Good one.It seems to be held down with a type of glue.If the trackpad responds even on the lifted area you might just be able to simply crazyglue it back down.If no,then it's a replacement part.
The latch is again a magnet.When you close the iBook look where the latch is and leave about a half inch of space,you should see the latch come down from the display pulled in my the magnet in the bottom case.If you don't see the latch then thats the problem,if you do see it but it does not stay closed take a look at the spring mech for the cover release and see if the magnet is in place.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
"Now, what on earth is this little magnet for?"

Is that the magnet that pulls the latch down from the lid when you close it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts