Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a Ti15" with regular drive and wants to know if he can upgrade it to Superdrive (x2, x4?). I had a poke around the Apple site but couldn't find anything. I don't have the full specs, but it was purchased in September 02, so it's either a 867 or 1000 MHz machine.

Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I'm pretty suire that you can have it installed by Apple as I've seen some send their units back when the combo was the rage... Apple actually had a publishe u/g $$ at the time. I'm sure that teh superdrive has to be available.

Oddly enough, I believe there's a path for the Pismo - I was looking at the Toshiba SD-R6012 - which in theory should work, and can be intsalled by self. The reports on the R2312 are all positive (combo dr).

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hehe, well, you're not gonna like my answer on this.

I originally bought a 12" AlPB with combo drive, with hopes of using an external Pioneer DVR-A05 in a FireWire enclosure, but iDVD3 didn't even want to install. Some research on Apple's TIL discussion forums revealed that no external DVD-R/RW could ever be used by iDVD3. Grrr. So, less than a week after buying the 12", I contacted the manager at bMac explaining my prob, asking if he could order the Superdrive (a difference in price of about $300 CDN between the two 12" AlPB models), and their service center could install it incl. labor charges etc. It took them about half a day to find the details on this - Apple wanted $850 CDN + installation charges for the Superdrive, and get this, it's a 1x DVD-R.

However, the Manager offered to take back my old 12" AlPB and only charged me $100 CDN to swap it for a 12" AlPB w/Superdrive, since I had already online-registered the Combo 12" and that was the fee to 'de-register it', or as bMac/Apple called it - "Refurbish" the old machine. Some lucky sod is going to buy my old 12" AlPB as a refurbish and get a darn good deal on an immaculate powerbook.

There's a company out there called 'MCE' which offers 1x Superdrive upgrades on Ti15" machines, but it's about $350 US and only a 1x DVD-R. Only the 17" AlPB has a 2x DVD-R, so don't feel too bad about it.

N.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
NY hit it. You know that they need to get you on that purchase early - the $300 is so worth it. The u/g is never going to be affordable - esp not a slot load. At least with the Pismo, I have a few drives to look at, esp in the combo dr dept. I thought about the S.drive for a minute, but the x1 would likely be too painful to endure. :(

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this.

Any recommendation regarding an external DVD burner and DVD Studio Pro 2 (not cheap!)?

·
Registered
237 Posts
According to the folks over at xlr8yourmac.com, iDVD 3.01 works with external DVD-R drives.

iDVD 3.0.1 working fine here with retail DVR-105 Drive - A reader had written today about a report at macintouch from a DVR-105 (aka A05) drive owner saying iDVD 3.0.1 would not launch - implying that the 3.0.1 update didn't support retail drives (Apple has never 'officially' supported retail drives of course in writing). As I replied to him in email, I have had no reports like this, and I have personally run iDVD 3.0.1 on my MDD with retail (Cendyne boxed) DVR-105 fine (in fact I just finished burning a nearly full DVD-R with it using iDVD 3.0.1 ) I applied the update using Software Updates on two macs. (I did not use the downloaded updater version - if that matters.)

·
Registered
507 Posts
According to that paragraph, the author is talking about non-Apple Pioneer OEM DVD-RW drives in the Master IDE position on PowerMacs. I just searched Apple's TIL Support Discussion forums for iDVD, and there's no mention there of success with external DVD-R or RW products.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Both the May edicition of MacWorld and the july edition of MacAddict have recently given the LaCie d2 FirewireDVD re-writable drive highest recommendations over numerous other makes/models.

It comes with it's own Mac DVD authoring software called "CaptyDVD" (similar to iDVD3) and the Machine runs in OS 9 and OS X.

The LaCie d2's case design and price are also better than the competitors bing reviewed.

Hope this helps,

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Not to change the subject, but MacDoc1 I assume that you are not THE Macdoc of ehMacLand fame? The "1" may help to avoid the confusions in the future. Welcome to ehMacLand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts