Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. First post from a new member.

I have a Powerwave 604e running OS 8.6 with 96 mg ram at home. We just recieved a message from MSN messenger that we will no longer be able to use MSN unless we are running OS 9.2.2 Should I purchase 128 mg ram, upgrade to 9.1 and then try and intall 9.2.2.....or should I give up and purchase a newer machine? If a newer machine then what do I go for? A G4? Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Boomer

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well the ram would be AT MOST $200 it you add a 512 chip... another $200 for a bigger HD

A new machine is gonna run you around $2000, flat screen imac ... or so

A used machine like a old imac or AGP G4 is gonna run you $1000

If your ok with the current speed of your machine, than drop a tiny wad, give your 604e a couple new bits and you may get another year out of her..

Of course , you will find that alot of software/support for OS9 is going to be going the way of the 'DoDo' pretty fast.
So at least a solid OSX running machine will keep you in the game longer even if the cash layout is more.

Good luck Boomer, I was no help at all

[ August 29, 2003, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: dibenga ]

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think that you should spen a litlle and get even the base hardware that you need to get a system that can not only run 9.2.2 but also get into the world of OSX.

I saw a 500MHz iMac for sale with CDWR in the trading post this would get you a great machine for OS 9 for probably around $700 and it runs OSX realy good as well.

Parousia

Of course if you want to spend more I just bought a 1GHz eMac combo and it runs very fast compared to the above machine and it would run OS9 even better!

·
Registered
58 Posts
We dont know what else you do with your machine, but...

I'm running 9.2.1 and it uses between 38-46 Megs of RAM depending on what's being done. So why not just get the OS upgrade and see how that goes? If it runs like crap, then get more RAM.

Why should you to get a newer Mac just for net surfing? And putting OS X on that machine will be more trouble than it's worth... you'll need a whack of RAM, newer video card,IF it'll even install,of course.

Go for the OS upgrade, for sure. Everything else is optional.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Mac OS X would run like UT2k3 on that machine (because it's not G3/G4 equipped) and the latest Mac OS that is officially supported on that processor is 9.1, not even 9.2 - only machines that officially support OS X support 9.2.x If you want to upgrade, I would get a G3 processor in there and then some more RAM. You will see huge improvements in speed and everything you do going from a 604e to a speedy and far more powerful G3.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi Boomer

You're going to flooded with suggestions which may not be helpful.

I would be best if we knew a few essentials:

1) What do you use the machine for?
2) What do you *want* to use the machine for?

and the most important question

3) How much are you comfortable spending?

It would also help to know if you have a lot "classic" programs. If you switch to OS X, will you need to replace with OS X versions. Is that expense worth it for you?

So far I deduce that if you've hung onto that machine for a few years, you like something that's long-lasting. Right away I'd stay away from the iMacs.

·
Registered
454 Posts
By the time he spends money on ram, g3 upgrade, os 9, he will be putting down some decent bucks. And still have a obsolete, ugly machine. (And there is no guarantee it will run future releases of OS X.)

I suggest get yourself the basic eMac. Its plenty powerful enough for basic stuff like surfing, itunes, etc. Now its actually affordable considering the basic eMac cost 1199 and since its an all in one it comes with an pretty good 17 inch monitor.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, avoid an upgrade.

Your system bus speed is 40-50 Mhz. Any processor or RAM upgrade will show minimal performance improvements. You should be able to get a decent machine for the same price as upgrading your current, and end up with faster more powerful results.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Why not just switch from MSN to some other messaging software. It just seems silly that MSN will only support 9.2.2.

If you don't upgrade MSN maybe it will still work without the new features.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My daughter moved to a high school now so I expect to use it for homework assignments, surfing, some game playing, msn with all her friends, and of course music. Personally, I use the computer at work (such as now) but I expect to retire in a couple of years and will need a better/faster machine then. The old Mac does what I want to do just fine right now...just a little slower.

It just irks me to see the 'other' type of machine for so cheap compared to macs. However, I do not want the hassles associated with viruses etc.

Keep the replies coming!

Boomer

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok, judging from its uses and your long-range intentions -- the fact that you use it for games suggests you likely want to stick with pre-OS X system software -- you'll want something that can at least boot into an older OS. For that reason avoid the new G5s and later edition G4s (which is more than you need anyway).

I was just noticing some of the prices for early generation G4s and they're a remarkable bargain at a little over $1000. It should have OS 9 pre-installed, and you'll notice a very zippy response. You really don't need anything faster unless you move into OS X -- it looks pretty but it's a real slug. Plus, unlike the iMacs or the eMacs they're less likely to break down and easier to upgrade.

How are you fixed for a monitor?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Don't bother with the upgrade. For $500 you can get a used G3 that will be faster, more modern etc etc etc.

If money is not a large hurdle, get a new eMac or iMac. Unless you are an upgrade freak, in which case you will want a new G4 or G5.

Personally, I would recommend upgrading to a used G3 or G4.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Definitely I think it comes down to a used G3 (b&w is better than beige and about the same price these days) or G4. You can stretch the life out of these no problem.

Speedwise these machines, running OS 9, are about as fast as those 'other' cheaply-priced machines you've been noticing. That's where the true Mhz myth exists.

·
Registered
503 Posts
No additional comments. Just go new.
Sorry, I disagree. Every person has there own unique needs and wants. That's why I asked Boomer the questions I did.

I have a friend who still has a pre-G3 Mac. She is still perfectly happy with her System 7 software and black&white monitor. To her it's just an electronic typewriter. Meanwhile her husband finally stepped up to an iMac with OS 9 a few years ago because he needed a machine with internet capabilities -- and that's it. I can't entice him with OS X and, for what he does, the speed and power is plenty.

Even if you gave them the latest and greatest G5 they would probably sell it. Not everyone can use a 747. A lot of people are still perfectly happy with a Piper Cub.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have narrowed it down to purchasing a used older machine. Since price is almost the same, what would be the better choice and why? I can get a Beige G3 333 or a Blue & White G3 400.

Boomer

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would say the better choice is the blue and white G3:

1) Looks Better
2) Newer
3)Supports USB
4)Will be supported by Apple longer.
5) In your case Faster.

Just make sure it's a revision 2/B!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Definitely the b&w

Which is an odd recommendation because my Mac is the beige G3-333 :D

The bus speed on the b&w is simply bigger. The upgrades on my beige have hit a ceiling that, by moving to a b&w, I would have a significant speed and power boost.

If I can run Jaguar, do video editing and burn dvds on my beige -- all at a speed I can tolerate at the moment -- your needs will be more than satisfied with a b&w. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Grab the Blue and White revision 2 model. You can easily upgrade this machine with more current, faster processor cards plus it has a 100MHZ system bus.

I love working with those machines due it's amazing case design.

·
Premium Member
2,465 Posts
Nobody has mentioned the fact that you can't go past OS 9.1 on an old Mac, even a real one.

9.2.x is intended for OS X-compatible Macs, which means Macs that were originally equipped with a G3 or G4 processor, except the very first G3 PowerBook.

Of course, there are hacks available that allow you to install OS 9.2.x and even OS X on unsupported computers, but that's like working on the flying trapeze without a net. The next upgrade to the OS might break the hack, and the author may or may not be interested in upgrading it.

Cheers :-> Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts