Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's 400 Mhz G3 Lombard, bronze keyboard has only a 6G HD with CD/DVD drive. She is running Panther and Classic, so little room is left for space. Can I upgrade to say a 20G drive and if so what model do I look for? Will it support a larger drive? Also it has 192MB memory and I am thinking I should add more. Again what type of memory should I buy and how much can be added?

And lastly, is this something I can do myself, or should it go to an Apple dealer?

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I bought a 10 gig drive from eBay last year and I installed it
myself, It's not that difficult, In fact compared to an iBook it's childs play.

You can upgrade the hard drive to as big as you like and you
can use the newer faster 5400 rpm drives with the 8 mb caches.

I'm not sure about the newer 7200 rpm drives,
You might want to put them in an external case.

Dave :cool:

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The Powerbook uses standard PC-100/133 SO-DIMM's for RAM.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
Last year I added 256 mb of ram to the upper slot,
You need low profile ram for the lower slot.

I have heard that the Lombard can be upgraded to as high as
1024 mb of ram, That would be 1x 512 upper slot and 1x 512
low profile lower slot ram.

You might find it easier to find just an upper slot 512 mb of
ram stick, They tend to be bigger in size compared to the
lower slot ram.

Dave :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I have a 30 gig drive and 512mb (256 x 2)of ram in mine. Did the installation of both myself very easy, if you do a search you can find documents on how to do it. You'll need to back up your files on a different computer or external hd so you can transfer the files back later.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Upgrading is fairly easy to do. I have done both a wallstreet and pismo. I would not even attempt an ibook.

As for instructions, try this place and download for your particular computer.

http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

Always go with the most ram you can. I would use 256 in the lower and 512 in the upper. Ram and a fast HD will make that PB sing.
Robert

·
Registered
599 Posts
There are a number of reports of Lombards not working well with RAM exceeding 384 MB running either Jaguar or Panther. This does not affect all Lombards so it is frustrating problem to resolve. Macfixit has a huge thread about this.

Because of this potential problem, it might not be a bad idea to have a dealer do the install for you. That way, if the computer does not reboot when the new SO-DIMM is installed then they can swap another module in until it does work. For this reason alone, I had the dealer do the install (the actual install of the chip is pretty easy). My Lombard finally worked on the third chip

I would install the RAM upgrade first to ensure that the computer and RAM work with OS X then do the hard drive upgrade to a 5400 rpm model if you can afford.

If you want to do this yourself , check here for illustrated tutorial (These are for Pismos but it is similar to a Lombard)

http://xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/powerlogix_bluechip/index5.html

http://xlr8yourmac.com/PB_G3/IBM_Travelstar_32GB/index.html

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
There's plenty of HD info on xlr8yourmac.com including step-by-step installation instructions.

I buy my Ram from Other World Computing and they have great pricing (usually have it sent to an Amerifriend to pick-up).

I guess without Firewire, a big, fat external drive is out. Maybe look into a FW PC card, get a FW housing cheap, and get the biggest cheap IDE drive. This will make it easy to follow with you when you upgrade her machine someday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts