Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering upgrading my stock 16 meg video card with something better. I'm not a gamer, but was wondering if it's worthwhile to upgrade to take advantage of Quartz Extreme. I'm devoted to OSX, and was wondering what others think of the ATI Radeon 7000 mac version. I don't want to invest much. Is an upgrade worthwhile at all, since I am not into gaming?

·
Registered
454 Posts
The ATi Radeon 7000 mac edition in your case is useless, since it as a PCI card will not give you Quartz extreme support. I recommend you instead get either the ATi Radeon 9000 or the Geforce 4 mx, both 64 mb AGP cards.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
The cheaper version of the Geforce 4 MX has 32 MB of VRAM, and is around $60 (U.S) - and supports Quartz Extreme.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, you answered part of my question, but what I really want to know is whether or not it is worthwhile to upgrade just for Quartz Extreme. Does an upgraded video card actually increase image quality? Does Quartz Extreme give better overall performance?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I believe the latest macaddict deals with this very question.
I saw it in the library so can't send you a scan. I believe it will be on the website though. Hope this helps,
Robert

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I take it your on a budget and can't consider a machine upgrade?

A faster machine would probably help OSX performance alot more than a video card upgrade. With the faster machine you would probably also get the faster video card.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.