Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a AGP G4 400 and I saw this upgrade from powerlogix.

"Special. PowerLogix PowerForce G4 800MHzG4 No Cache. Compatible with PowerMac G4 computers running 100MHz bus: AGP Graphics, Gigabit Ethernet. 30Day DOA Warranty. Limited Stock on Hand
Price: $199.00"

Because it has no Cache what does this mean to me.

Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Well, I suspect you would want cache. Unless it relies on the motherboard's cache levels, which really doesn't lend to a great enhancement of your system.

It sounds to me like a cheap upgrade that will not really give much of a performance boost.

I've been looking at the Sonnet cards. More expensive, for sure, but with 800MHz, 1GHz, and 1.2GHz, we are in the same situation for these cards (I have the G4/450 AGP model)

According to some specs I saw, the "best bang for the buck" came from the 1 GHz card. I don't know the details but presumably a taste-test between the 3 cards proved the middle card most cost effective with it's combination of CPU, onboard cache, and the alignment of the planets...

Here's the link: cLiCk Me!

They even have cube-versions of their cards.

The 1GHz one I'm looking at is about $499 US. But the 800MHz is only $299.

As well, these cards require no software flash-rom tweaks. Pure plug and play.

I'm looking at upgrading in June or July though. So prices may change (They have already dropped $120.00 for the 1GHz since I spotted them back in December)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you seen these upgrades?

http://www.gigadesigns.com/products.html

800MHz Processor with 256K L2 Cache running at the Processor Speed, and 2MB Synchronous Pipeline Burst (SPB) L3 Cache running at 228MHz (2/7 the Processor Speed)

They make them in Northen California, and they have impressive stats and resonable prices.

If the new G4/G5,s are in the near future I don't want to buy a new 1.2 or whatever now but with FCP I would like more performance.

John

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
We think the 800 witht he 2 meg L2 represents the best value for 100 mHz system bus.
I use it in a Cube and it's very stable and falls nicely into the 8:1 bus to clock range whereas the others push it pretty haigh and would be better on 133 systems.
We just got in a couple of the GigaDesign upgrades and ser playing with them.
Their first systems had no L3 cache :( but for $300 it's pretty cheap thrills. :eek:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a QS 733 and have often wondered if it would benefit from one of these upgrades when the cost and the dust has settled. :D :D

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts