Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
I probably should have done it as a clean install but I wanted to test the process as I will eventually have to upgrade my iMac.

Actually, I would disagree on doing such a clean install and I'll bet the method you used will be much better and faster as you also ended up defragging all the data in the process you used.

You no doubt also ended up keeping all the little bits that keep all the Mac OS things and applications working properly.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Very successful day today. I downloaded the Sierra updater from the apple support page about older OS's. High Sierra would have gone through the App Store. Sierra appears fine. And now I have those to install on my other Mac Mini and my iMac. Will have to look for Ram in bulk...LOL.
Not breaking any speed records with the base 2GB ram but that will be for another day. Spent the day downloading Chrome and Firefox and testing the sites that I cannot access in Snow Leopard. No problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Would we be in this fix if Steve Jobs still had any say? Any Mac user I know is experiencing issues.

Some of us plain don't like Mojave or Catalina even though our Macs support them.

It would be so simple to make available older OSs and older components such as Safari & keep them functional. Apple should leave the thinking to us & keep doing what it does best, making money great design.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I freely admit most of my problems probably stem from the age of my software/hardware situation.
My old browsers may be corrupting the downloads, however since Yosemite and Sierra function properly, it might be corruptions at Apple's server. Since they have dropped support for these older systems, I'm sure they do not care.

However, I agree with you in a sense. Apple, Adobe and many, many software and hardware companies have been disabling older tech in order to push new sales and generate revenue. That is what they are in business for. But they have done it at the expense of improving their products. OSX today is not significantly different that Snow Leopard, they have added new functions and Technologies, but nothing earth shattering.

Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop have had yearly updates and function almost identically to CS6. They change the file format name each year to make it inconvenient to stay in one version.

Apple store employees are paid not to believe that anyone could possibly keep a computer running for more than 2 years. Steve Jobs is yhe father of this policy, but in his day, Apple built better and re-designed to impress...

Tim Cooke's people just push speed bumps and tweaking...

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Tim Cooke's people just push speed bumps

Unfortunately, in many cases, those speed bumps seem to be working quite well, not only with older Macs but also with some of the latest models by the sound of things from some user's reports. 😤

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
157 Posts
In many cases (iTunes, even QuickTime), these become bloatware with features few will need or use.

However, I'm not asking for Apple's or Adobe's support (remarkably, Microsoft has done a great job with updates for Mac). I'm just asking that they keep working.

I don't give a fig for all-hallowed security! Two-factor authentication is only a PITA! Think about it--tell me what you've got that you really need locked down by security.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
I don't give a fig for all-hallowed security! Two-factor authentication is only a PITA! Think about it--tell me what you've got that you really need locked down by security.

+1!!!

That 2FA that Apple and others came up with, and can and will try and trap you into their system from which you cannot easily escape if at all is the biggest PITA annoying and usually unnecessary thing they have implemented In quite some time.

Be aware that once implemented, It may be permanent and no easy way to escape!!! 😫

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It is everywhere, logging in here on the Mac Mini, EhMac refused my password and I had to reset it on my Phone. Now I have to update it on my iPad and my iMac...

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
It is everywhere, logging in here on the Mac Mini, EhMac refused my password and I had to reset it on my Phone. Now I have to update it on my iPad and my iMac...

It may be too late for you If you have signed up to use Two-Factor Authentication, but I avoid it like it was just another plague, but it sure is insistent as well as annoying how it tries to shove itself down one's throat.

Heck, I only use an old smartphone occasionally and that's just for some occasional calls and no cell data other than via wi-fi.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well...the more things work, the more things break. Sometime around Lion or Mountain Lion, Apple decided to change its support for window sharing protocols and now my WDTV which plays video from my hard drives to my television will not connect via SMB. Those drives are formatted NTFS as it allows longer file names than FAT did. Not sure if that has changed. A lot to research.

My iMac 2007, it seams, maxes out running Yosemite, so I think it will stick with snow Leopard as its main OS.

Does anyone have experience with SMB sharing or insight into where I should look for answers? Old tech is so fun.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
The problems I've had with SMB relate to Windows 10. Windows 10 disables SMB 1 by default, since SMB 1 was a security risk. There are some settings in Windows 10 that allow you to use SMB 1 that Apple routers use. This wasn't a problem with Windows 7. Google it.

On the Apple side, I don't know if there's a setting adjustment to use newer SMB, or something else. As far as I know, this was more an issue with the Apple Airport router, rather than a specific OS issue.

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
Does anyone have experience with SMB sharing or insight into where I should look for answers? Old tech is so fun.
You might want to head over to Mac-forums.com and do some searching or join up as a member if you haven't done so already.

A good source of Mac information these days and don't be too surprised if you don't see a fair number of us old ehMac members amongst them.

I would be very surprised if you don't find someone over there with an answer to your question, and there are some really good matte veterans there all willing to help and no bickering is tolerated. Man, that's a BIG understatement!!!

This site seems to have taken quite a different path from what the old Mayor originally set it up to be for supplying Mac help.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Further update for anyone keeping score. I have upgraded the Ram to its theoretical Max of 16gb. Thanks to Dylan at MacDoc. Ran into a hiccup which I had never heard of but seems common according to various user forums. After installing the Ram Chips I lost all sound from the internal speakers running Sierra. The partition running the original Snow Leopard sounded fine so it was not a hardware issue. After playing with the Sound settings, deleting and rebuilding sound preferences, Zapping the PRAM and those sort of basic steps, I was facing reinstalling the OS as an almost last resort.

This morning I did one more Google search for answers and found the following that solved my problem.
I usually avoid the Terminal as people who post about it usually assume you know as much as they do about it.

Again, My Mini had a startup chime and full sound in SnowLeopard but lost sound when booted in Sierra.
I don't endorse this or guarantee it, but it worked for me...

Fixing Lost sound after Ram installation.

Solution: must restart the whole audio kext. Open Terminal app then type: (or copy/paste)

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

enter user password

After that type:

sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
This morning I did one more Google search for answers and found the following that solved my problem.

Good to hear that you found a solution that worked for your problem.

And it's nice that you can enjoy a bit more time with that Mac of yours and have it working properly. 😉

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
After a lot of mucking around, I have hit an annoying snag. Maybe you know a better way. When I set up Sierra on this old Mac, I created a new user to start fresh, later in an attempt to migrate my graphic design software from my iMac, I restored that drive to the Mini. This brought the iMac user account over with varying degrees of success. Most 3rd party software came over but is unregistered. I'll fix or reinstall that later.

The email from the iMac works perfectly on the old user. I would like to make it active on the new user. Google and Apple keep pointing me to the migration assistant which wants to bring everything. I only want User 1 to have the email exactly as user2 does on the same SIerra. Or move from old user to new, if that makes more sense.

I've seen many threads suggesting archive, export then import but most have user horror stories of conflicting problems. Don't know why apple makes this so convoluted... Or am I missing something obvious?

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
After a lot of mucking around, I have hit an annoying snag. Maybe you know a better way.

Maybe because of all your mucking around you have created your own problem.

I'm sorry, but I am completely lost as to what you have done, what you've mucked around with, and what you're actually trying to do.

I sure hope you have an original backup and you need to keep at least one pristine copy.

The email from the iMac [for the old user] should work just the same with a new user as long as the settings are all exactly the same!!!

it doesn't sound like you are trying to use Migration Assistant.app the way it was designed to be used, plus the fact it is designed to keep the same username.

You might want to have a look at Carbon Copy Cloner.app that can be modified to clone and use only some selected files and settings etc.

Good luck, but you may need to do a bit more homework as to how Mac OS things work and MacOS Sierra, unfortunately, doesn't exactly make things easier.

And you probably used to think just OS X User Permissions were a pain in the a°°!!! 😉

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
"Mucking around" refers to configuring other software installing games and finding what legacy software I own will work with Sierra. Also a lot of frustrating searches for best way to bring old email organization over to the new Mac as is. While I am not a dedicated expert on this, thanks for assuming I am just drooling on my machine. Sorry I did not explain myself better.

My old email setup is on the Mini and functions properly on the 2nd user. The 1st user does not see it.

Now, I can either dig through the 2nd user and uninstall 10 years of accumulated things I don't need or I can transfer only the mail to the new user. Many user boards I have read think Apple doesn't see that as something users might want to do.

I spent most of last night upgrading my 2nd Mac Mini for my wife and ended up just starting her email from scratch.
I have 5 or 6 email accounts for various things and a filing system to keep work an hobby emails separated.

Thanks anyway

·
Premium Member
15,605 Posts
My old email setup is on the Mini and functions properly on the 2nd user. The 1st user does not see it.
That sounds like Migration Assistant was used after the new OS install and a new user was established.
Normally, Migration Assistant should be used immediately after the OS has been installed.

Now, I can either dig through the 2nd user and uninstall 10 years of accumulated things I don't need or I can transfer only the mail to the new user. Many user boards I have read think Apple doesn't see that as something users might want to do.
How you manage your email and email accounts will also depend on the type of email accounts you are using, ie: POP or IMAP. It can make quite a difference, especially if you want to keep your old email or archive it to keep it accessible.

If it is critical to you and possibly beyond your Mac capabilities, you may want to consider hiring a good Mac Tech geek to help you get things sorted out. Often well worth the money and saves a lot of hassles.

The later Mac OS versions don't exactly make things easy to migrate as they used to be. And even several years ago, one often had to use third-party applications to get one's email migrated properly.

I'm sure many remember Eudora Mailbox Cleaner and other specialized email migration applications such as
Emailchemy - Email Migration Software etc... ??? 😉

Actually, that is an application you may want to consider using. I think it should still work.

- Patrick
=======

21 - 39 of 39 Posts