Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen postings on YouTube regarding upgrading your OS on unsupported Macs. I have 2 Macs, a MacBook Air 2011 and an iMac 27" i7 2011. Has anyone upgraded their OS to Monterey. Are there any caveats? Have you been successful? Should I just leave my Macs as they are?

Felix

· Premium Member
16,605 Posts
Should I just leave my Macs as they are?
I guess it depends on what you want or what you might want to do.

I also have a 2011 27" iMac but do not have an iPhone or need to sync anyting and did not like the later Mac OS versions or the lack of features that Apple had removed from them, so I went back to Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9.5.

But I hardly ever use Safari cuz that gave up working properly ages ago, and only some occasional sites balk at the outdated version of Google Chrome I tend to use but the extended use Firefox version covers for that.

I do have a version of High Sierra available in a partition but I gave up using it because there is always something that doesn't seem to work properly so I just go back and boot up using my old Mavericks partition.

And I do not have any use for most of the features of the later Mac OS versions.

Your mileage may vary of course and probably your situation as well of what you might want or need when using your Mac

Good luck regardless of your decision as to what you might end up doing.

PS: I am also an older 80s handicapped senior so I really don't need much if any of the newer Mac OS stuff, Macs or iDevices.

- Patrick
=======

- Patrick
=======

· Premium Member
43,596 Posts
The older the Apple product, the more likely that much newer OSes will cause them to run slowly or erratically. I've pushed some of my Macs to run unsupported OSes and the process wasn't foolproof or easy. You may also lose support for some applications. For example, I have permanently stayed at Mojave, because my standalone Photoshop program will stop working properly with Catalina, and not at all with Monterey. You also may have to make sure that the system never auto-upgrades your Moneterey and causes it to fail.

If you're doing it just to see how far you can push your old hardware, I would:
1) Make a full backup of your existing disk on an EXTERNAL drive and then remove it. I once pushed my hardware into a newer OS using an updater that temporarily disabled all video drivers. Unknown to me, the upgrade was a failure, and when the screen was blanked out, Carbon Copy Cloner backed up the new, bad OS to the other drive. Backing out of a failed OS update is not easy.
2) Attempt the update and see how you like it. You can always go back using your external backup.

I have seen postings on YouTube regarding upgrading your OS on unsupported Macs. I have 2 Macs, a MacBook Air 2011 and an iMac 27" i7 2011. Has anyone upgraded their OS to Monterey. Are there any caveats? Have you been successful? Should I just leave my Macs as they are?

Felix

1 - 3 of 3 Posts