Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find this strange. iOS 12.2 is out and I see it in Software Update on my iOS devices. When connecting my devices to iTunes on my Mac, only 12.1.3 is showing available for download for my iPad and my iPhone is said to be up to date with 12.1.4. I'd rather update through iTunes but don't want to do 12.1.3 just to get to 12.2.

Maybe this is the key I found at MacRumors: "The update is available on all eligible devices over-the-air in the Settings app."

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
Ha. Now, when connecting my iPad to iTunes, it is saying 12.4 is available.

Welcome to Apple's new spasmodic OS updates and methods.

But, iOS 12.4???? Are you really sure????

iOS 12.2 was released on March 25, 2019.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_12

EDIT:
BTW: Apple has just released iOS 12.2 for iPhone and iPad late today, Mar 25, 2019 it seems.

- Patrick
======

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I always update my OS devices via WIFI including my watch which is the only way you can update it. Never have an issue. The only time I ever have had update issues was when I tried to connect to iTunes which is always buggy for whatever reason. The only time I ever use iTunes is if something goes awry and I have to restore my phone which is backed up to iCloud and my MBP.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Just did the iOS 12.2 update and went to adjust my settings and there it was, gone from page one of my menu. It now appeared as the only icon on the second page. WTH is with that?

A careful look at the first page revealed Apple had stuck a 'news' icon there which bumped the settings icon. Fortunately, they made the icon deletable and it is now gone. Damn Apple anyway. Allow me a choice as to whether I want their news app on my phone. I don't.

Just like I cannot delete the 'Wallet' app. No use for the damn thing, but can I get rid of it? Noooooooooooooo!

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I never use iTunes for updating, seems like adding an unnecessary middle man. Just make sure your phone is plugged in for power and run the update through your phone. Seems simpler then downloading the update to iTunes and then again transferring that file to your iPhone to run the update.

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All done and all is well. With our slow internet, doing wifi updates ties up my devices. My Mac sits at home so, updating though iTunes is my best choice. Another thing. Make sure you have wifi Assist disabled when downloading the update apart from iTunes, unless you have an unlimited data plan.

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
Just like I cannot delete the 'Wallet' app. No use for the damn thing, but can I get rid of it? Noooooooooooooo!

How about trying to use this method:
How to Disable/Delete SAFARI, WALLET & OTHER APPS From iPhone with IOS 12 (2019)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ1xLYrWu24

EDIT:
Actually, I think that's just a method of hiding them, rather than actually deleting them and saving some valuable storage space.

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-delete-or-hide-iphone-ipad-apps-3459863/

- Patrick
======

1 - 9 of 9 Posts