Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the security update last night, and have been having multiple kernal panics since the update. I've been on the phone with Apple for the past 90 minutes.

They are getting many many calls regarding this update.

I highly suggest NOT doing it.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
I think I'll take the risk, anyway. This old G3 has nothing to lose. ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
i updated, and have had no issues here.

p.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Updated last night, and have experienced no ill effects.

I even logged out, and back in and everything worked as it should.

Sorry to here that you are having difficulties Britnell, let us know what Apple tells you.

I will lay money down that they are going to say an OS X System Restore, they always say that. Funny thing is it usually works. :(

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry to say I've had no problems either - installed on G4 tower, G4 TiBook, G3 iBook. All are fine.

Hope it works out soon for you... have you tried repairing permissions?

- smw

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have found a solution, I think.

I turned off journalling.

BTW, I have an ATTO UW card and 2 UW drives in my G4. It seems the journalling and the update did not play fair on the SCSI drives.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Not having OSX on any of my Macs, I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to this issue, but whilst scrolling through Applelinks this morning, I noticed an article by John Farr on this very matter. It includes a workaround. I understand that this has been discussed on several forums.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
As the Apple Turns did note (and poke fun at) this latest update, in that the Login button no longer works (try it. It refuses to accept any password) but of course, when i type in my password, i hit return and all is fine...

This appears to be limited to the "iconlist" view of the login screen only as well...

Sorry to hear about the weirdness Britnell. Other than the above quirk, none of the machines I upgraded at Adobe have encountered a problem, however it does sound like the 3rd party HW may have had some kind of conflict.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
The security update makes the Mac so secure that you can't even login, eh.
NOW, that's security. :eek:

I read similar reports on MacFixit. Didn't hear about the kernel panics with journaling, though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts