Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

unstuffing .sit

8376 Views 6 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  John Clay
I have a couple of .sit downloads with a blank, generic icon. When I double-click, I am told to choose an application. I have not yet downloaded and installed Stuffit Expander. Doesn't OSX have something built in to do this?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Stuffit support isn't built into Mac OS X. I suggest downloading The Unarchiver.. it supports a ton of formats, it's free and works really well.
Stuffit Expander, courtesy of VersionTracker.
My late partner used a PC, so .sit wouldn't work for him. Nobody using a PC seems able to unstuff a .sit file, so I changed the default to .zip, unstuffable by everyone.

Not that you asked...
My late partner used a PC, so .sit wouldn't work for him. Nobody using a PC seems able to unstuff a .sit file, so I changed the default to .zip, unstuffable by everyone.

Not that you asked...
StuffIt Expander for Windows:

http://www.stuffit.com/win/expander/

Not that you asked :)
Stuffit support isn't built into Mac OS X. I suggest downloading The Unarchiver.. it supports a ton of formats, it's free and works really well.
Does Unarchiver somehow unstuff itself when you first download it? It comes in as a .zip file.
I already had Stuffit Expander on the Mac, but what happens if you don't?
Does Unarchiver somehow unstuff itself when you first download it? It comes in as a .zip file.
I already had Stuffit Expander on the Mac, but what happens if you don't?

OS X has native support for the ZIP compression format, and handles it much better than Stuffit (other than password-protected files).
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.