Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am interested in knowing how to be able to use my IPhone 4 with another carrier without making any changes to my IPhone 4.
The problem is that I cannot use my IPPhone when I am i Europe. Last time it cost me extra $450 for just short use of the phone. Needless to say I cannot afford that so I want to unlock from Fido and use a SIM card from a carrier that is overseas while I am away.
Now - when I come back I want to be able to use Fido as my regular carrier again.

Any suggestions to what can be done without creating lots of problems with the phone/carrier? I just want to be able to remove one SIM card for a week and then insert other SIM card when I come back.
I do not know how to unlock or jailbreak so if that's the option please tell me how to do that.

Thanks

Cathrine :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the link.
Sorry but I need to be sure - Will jail breaking my iPhone keep the phone as it is with my carrier so that when I come back from my trip then all is as it is right now?

Thanks for your input :)

·
Registered
853 Posts
FIDO can unlock iPhones for $50. There are a couple of conditions one of which is you need to be out of contract. If you don't mind parting with $50 (+tax, slightly high in my mind) you can call them up and tell them you want it unlocked. I've heard of people getting Rogers/FIDO to bed the rules and have iPhones unlocked which do not meet all the conditions.

The official unlock would require either a SIM card from a different carrier and the iPhone to be connected to iTunes or a restore of the iPhone once the unlock has been completed from the carriers end. Only the original carrier can officially unlock an iPhone.

If it is officially unlocked you can get a prepaid sim from a compatible carrier for overseas use an then upon return just reinstall the fido sim.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Before Jailbreaking, check your modem firmware first. settings>general>about>modem firmware. The only iPhone 4 baseband that can be software unlocked at this time is 01.59.00. If you have a newer baseband & you're still under Fido contract your only unlock option is a Gevey SIM adapter.

Here is a link to the official supplier ...

GEVEY sim ,GEVEY PRO unlock iPhone 4 iOS 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.1, 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3 baseband 1.59, 2.10, 3.10.1, 4.10.1

I have also seen them listed on eBay for about 10 bucks (but don't know if they are authentic). YMMV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FIDO can unlock iPhones for $50. There are a couple of conditions one of which is you need to be out of contract. If you don't mind parting with $50 (+tax, slightly high in my mind) you can call them up and tell them you want it unlocked. I've heard of people getting Rogers/FIDO to bed the rules and have iPhones unlocked which do not meet all the conditions.

The official unlock would require either a SIM card from a different carrier and the iPhone to be connected to iTunes or a restore of the iPhone once the unlock has been completed from the carriers end. Only the original carrier can officially unlock an iPhone.

If it is officially unlocked you can get a prepaid sim from a compatible carrier for overseas use an then upon return just reinstall the fido sim.
Thank you very much,

that was great advice. I will look into the matter with Fido. I know I am on contract for a couple or years still but I will see if I can reason with them so the phone can be unlocked at least while I am away.
They might not want to do that however I am going to give it a try

I truly appreciate your input :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
unlock/jailbreak?

Before Jailbreaking, check your modem firmware first. settings>general>about>modem firmware. The only iPhone 4 baseband that can be software unlocked at this time is 01.59.00. If you have a newer baseband & you're still under Fido contract your only unlock option is a Gevey SIM adapter.

Here is a link to the official supplier ...

GEVEY sim ,GEVEY PRO unlock iPhone 4 iOS 4.0, 4.1, 4.2.1, 4.3.1, 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3 baseband 1.59, 2.10, 3.10.1, 4.10.1

I have also seen them listed on eBay for about 10 bucks (but don't know if they are authentic). YMMV.
I did not know of that info regarding the modem. My Iphone is an Iphone 4 which I got September last year so it may have a new modem. Will look into all those matters. Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Man, I've called fido repeatedly and tried giving them all the excuses in the world and they would not unlock my phone for 50$! The reason is that I am still under contract for 2 years and some. They want me to pay off the phone and pay 50$ which is equal to terminating my contract since there is a new law in Quebec that allows to end a contract for 50$ + paying for the phone!

If you have any tips on things I could tell them to convince them, I would greatly appreciate it. Honestly, I don't see why FIDO would want to unlock my phone, since they've got me by the balls with the non-unlockable status of my baseband and that they are keen on selling me their wonderful international data packages that cost 100$+ for less than 250 megs!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, I've called fido repeatedly and tried giving them all the excuses in the world and they would not unlock my phone for 50$! The reason is that I am still under contract for 2 years and some. They want me to pay off the phone and pay 50$ which is equal to terminating my contract since there is a new law in Quebec that allows to end a contract for 50$ + paying for the phone!

If you have any tips on things I could tell them to convince them, I would greatly appreciate it. Honestly, I don't see why FIDO would want to unlock my phone, since they've got me by the balls with the non-unlockable status of my baseband and that they are keen on selling me their wonderful international data packages that cost 100$+ for less than 250 megs!

I am not sure yet what to say to them. I, too, am on a contract for another 2 years and I know they want $20 per remaining month in order for them to let me get out of the contract. That will actually be cheaper than receiving a bill like I did when I was overseas in February so I am going to way out the pro et con's.
If it appears to be cheaper (regardless it's still very expensive) to get out of the contract I think I will.
That will save me a lot of hassle and I can sign up with Mobilicity instead.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I am not sure yet what to say to them. I, too, am on a contract for another 2 years and I know they want $20 per remaining month in order for them to let me get out of the contract. That will actually be cheaper than receiving a bill like I did when I was overseas in February so I am going to way out the pro et con's.
If it appears to be cheaper (regardless it's still very expensive) to get out of the contract I think I will.
That will save me a lot of hassle and I can sign up with Mobilicity instead.
Except that mobilicity/public/wind do not support current iPhone frequencies. So if you switch to them you'll have to switch to a different handset. Unless the new phone coming soon (September?) supports 3G AWS.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
unlock/jailbreak?

Except that mobilicity/public/wind do not support current iPhone frequencies. So if you switch to them you'll have to switch to a different handset. Unless the new phone coming soon (September?) supports 3G AWS.
Oh, thank you for the message. That is good to know before I make my decision. Right now I have 6GB data plus unlimited in and outgoing phone for $79 (tax included)
Would of course like to find a better/cheaper plan

·
tilting at windmills
3,667 Posts
Thank you for the link.
Sorry but I need to be sure - Will jail breaking my iPhone keep the phone as it is with my carrier so that when I come back from my trip then all is as it is right now?

Thanks for your input :)
I have a 3Gs that I unlocked using jailbreakme.com, and I used it in London UK with an O2 SIM, then I came back to Canada and put back my Bell SIM and it works fine.

I am sure it is the same case with the iPhone 4, but as someone mentioned, make sure that your baseband etc. is an unlockable one before you jailbreak.

Cheers

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 3Gs that I unlocked using jailbreakme.com, and I used it in London UK with an O2 SIM, then I came back to Canada and put back my Bell SIM and it works fine.

I am sure it is the same case with the iPhone 4, but as someone mentioned, make sure that your baseband etc. is an unlockable one before you jailbreak.

Cheers
Oh, what a relief to hear. That's exactly what I want to do. Just jailbreak for the while I am in Denmark. I will definitely do exactly what you did - jailbreak using the program you suggest and then go back to normal once I am back.
Thank you so much.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Oh, what a relief to hear. That's exactly what I want to do. Just jailbreak for the while I am in Denmark. I will definitely do exactly what you did - jailbreak using the program you suggest and then go back to normal once I am back.
Thank you so much.
Cheers
cath999, before you go any further check your baseband (modem firmware). The only iPhone4 baseband that can be software unlocked at this time is 01.59.xx If you have a newer baseband you cannot unlock via jailbreak. Only solution atm is Gevey SIM interposer, as always YMMV!

settings>general>about>modem firmware

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
cath999, before you go any further check your baseband (modem firmware). The only iPhone4 baseband that can be software unlocked at this time is 01.59.xx If you have a newer baseband you cannot unlock via jailbreak. Only solution atm is Gevey SIM interposer, as always YMMV!

settings>general>about>modem firmware
My modem is 4.10.01 so I guess cannot use jailbreak.com
What happens if I use Gevey SIM Interposer - what happens? What does that program do?

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts

·
Apple Enthusiast
881 Posts
My modem is 4.10.01 so I guess cannot use jailbreak.com
What happens if I use Gevey SIM Interposer - what happens? What does that program do?
Be very weary of the Gevey SIM as I've heard that they are extremely finicky and require constant effort to make them work properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Be very weary of the Gevey SIM as I've heard that they are extremely finicky and require constant effort to make them work properly.
Thank you for that warning. I am not a computer illetarate however I am certainly not an expert either so knowing what you just told me makes me concerned if I know enough about what I will be doing to go ahead with that project......
Was hoping to find a bulletproof way that would enable me to remove the SIM (and carrier) that I use in my daily life here in Canada and insert another SIM card for another carrier while I am in Denmark. Once I am back here I would insert my regular SIM card but if I cannot do that without problems then it might not be worth it........

·
Apple Enthusiast
881 Posts
Thank you for that warning. I am not a computer illetarate however I am certainly not an expert either so knowing what you just told me makes me concerned if I know enough about what I will be doing to go ahead with that project......
Was hoping to find a bulletproof way that would enable me to remove the SIM (and carrier) that I use in my daily life here in Canada and insert another SIM card for another carrier while I am in Denmark. Once I am back here I would insert my regular SIM card but if I cannot do that without problems then it might not be worth it........
Well it might be worth looking into. Like here: Many mixed experiences. But ya never know. It may be worth spending 35 bucks to try it. ;)

Gevey Sim – iPhone 4 Unlock – Is it Reliable ? | Iphone 4 Problems

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well it might be worth looking into. Like here: Many mixed experiences. But ya never know. It may be worth spending 35 bucks to try it. ;)

Gevey Sim – iPhone 4 Unlock – Is it Reliable ? | Iphone 4 Problems
I looked at the website and I think you are right. I will buy it and see what happens once I do this. I will not be going away till September so I think I will wait a little longer before I buy it
Thank you for the great advice. Much appreciated

Cheers
Cathrine

1 - 20 of 27 Posts