Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for all those who like to have fun in the command line, what is better vi, emacs or pico?

I have to use them next year at university and am wondering which one is best to master, I can currently use vi, and tried pico for 5 minutes and absolutely love pico as I'm just as fast in pico as vi :D

Disclaimer: No flaming each other as I've heard that the vi vs. emacs discussion are competition for the heat generated between hardcore PC users and the mac users on some BBs.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I am a fan of vi myself. Its simple and straight forward to use and is pretty much available on every *nix out there from what I can tell.

Things like emacs and pico offer more features with user interface and the like. To me you have to use what you are most comfortable wiith...

my 1/2 cent input here :D

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
We used Vi on Linux systems in our college for several courses
I have never used emacs but Pico is a very limited editor
Master VI and go forth and be productive

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Chealion wrote:
So for all those who like to have fun in the command line, what is better vi, emacs or pico?

It's a matter of personal preference, really -- give them all a try and see which one you like the most (or hate the least).

The only other advice I can give is it's worth knowing how to use vi for basic text editing. Just about every Unix system has vi installed, but they won't necessarily have emacs or pico.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well been trying to master vi, don't have a clue about emacs, and pico I've just found out is a stand alone app of the text editor to send emails in Pine (an email client created by the University of Washington)

Alrighty then, back to the terminal I go to live and learn!

Thx for everyone's opinions.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hayesk - Why would programming in emacs be easier then vi, I have 0 experience with emacs, so I wnat to know whether I should focus on mastering vi or go learn emacs.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Chealion wrote:
Why would programming in emacs be easier [than] vi....

The one thing I can think of is that you can run gdb "in" emacs (which gives you a much better idea of your current state in the debugger).

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gdb would be...

I'm utterly clueless, sorry... As I know vi allows you to run shell commands, so could you please explain it. I feel rather stupid at the moment, so enlightenment is very much required.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
I think Pine stands for
Pine Is Not ... something
anyone?
sorta like Gnu isNot Unix
or PHP Hypertext Preprocessor
these are all so silly
even C++ is play on terms
C language plus more
computing is pretty silly stuff at times

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
vi: hard to learn, but available on pretty much every UNIX system

pico: easy to learn, not as popular, and doesn't have many features.

emacs: somewhat hard to learn, thousands of features, extendable, but not on every UNIX system (more than pico, though)

I would go with vi - it'll be everywhere. If you really plan on doing a lot of programming from the command line, go with emacs.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
I think Pine stands for
Pine Is Not ... something
anyone?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if Pine stands for anything, but pico stands for PIne COmposer. Pine may be "Pine Is Not Email" - but that would be silly, because Pine is email.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pine stands for Pine Is Not Elm which was another email client available on UNIX.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts